school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i need help

I just started reading about this disorder today and and although relieved that i am not alone, I still cannot figure out what can be done. We just moved to Malaysia from Pakistan because of my job. Since there are atleast 4 different languages spoken here, I can understand the dilemma my son has. He has started understanding English as we speak it at home quite often and is the most spoken language at school too.
We also can understand that he has more attaraction to stay at home since he has his own computer and quiet a lot of toys to help him pass his days. But school is important too. How do we get him in is one big problem. I have tried coaxing him, bribing him, threatening also but nothing seems to be working. The mere mention of going to school makes him nauseated.
School will start in two weeks and I am lost. Since I am also working and hardly have time to sit with him in the morning till he settles, I am open to suggestions.
thanks in adavance
ayesha

Re: i need help

Hi, and welcome. I am so sorry to hear that you are having a bad time, but you are not alone. My advise is to read through the threads in this site and look at everyones expereinces as this may help. Unfortunately we dont have the answers as it is such a complex problem but it will help you to start to understand what our children are going through. Do you have anyone at school to talk to ?

Please keep in touch and take care of your family.

Sarah x x

Re: i need help

Hi Ayesha. Sorry to hear you son is having trouble. It would be hard for him and he is probably fearful, not knowing what to expect and is overwhelmed by everything new. If it doesn't improve - make sure that you talk to the school. Even if they do not know anything about this, they need to know it is a real thing and your son and yourself need help and understanding. Good luck.
Linda