school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CBT

Hi everyone. Happy new year to you all and your families.

I just thought I'd let you know about my recent CBT sessions for anxiety.
These were organised through our local mental health team (for adults). They ran for 5 weeks for 2 hours a session in a group.
My first reaction was panic at the thought of sharing my worries with a group of strangers. We were all there for anxiety related issues but all had very different issues indeed. My worries were unfounded as we did not have divulge anything personal unless we wanted to. The first couple of weeks covered phobia type anxiety which didn't apply to me as such but was still very interesting to learn about .The other weeks were about challenging negative thoughts. It was like someone had switched a light bulb on in my head. I really couldnt see at the beginning of the course how CBT could help me but I have to say by sticking out the 5 weeks and putting into practise the methods taught, I now feel it has helped me to move on from recent events. I am so pleased that I gave it a go. It really has changed my perspective about things dramatically. It has helped me to cope better with my daughters ill health, just by looking at things a different way.
I know our priority is our children and their well being but also we need support ourselves. I am feeling much stronger than I have for a long time.
Hope you dont mind my sharing this.
Take care,
Penny x

Re: CBT

Penny - thank you so much for sharing that with us. We are often only focused on our children but we know that it has taken its toll on our health but we tend to just struggle on hoping it will go away! I have not had CBT for myself but attend the sessions with my son and I have felt that has helped me to be so much more accepting regarding the situation. IYou have inspired me to seek further CB just for myself.
Linda

Re: CBT

Penny - that is wonderful. My son is seeing his CBT guy next week so I am going to see if he thinks it will help me. I think i am at a stage where i am so numb with it all that if i don't get a little bit of help i might be in danger of falling apart - I know i should be stronger but it grinds you down.

Thanks for sharing your info.

Sar x