school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
school refusal - southern england

hi all - my daughter has been out of school now 3 years and has nearly recovered from the trauma - I am still paying the price as have developed diabetes type 2 as a result of stress. we live in dorset and would love to hear from anyone in our area to offer help and support. my daughter developed separation disorder and became expremely violent - we had no medical help - CAMHS deciding that it was ME who didnt want my daughter going to school. Luckily through patience and a lot of help from the local Home Education rep we have got through.

Re: school refusal - southern england

Out of interest what year of school is your daughter in?

I'm in West Yorkshire by the way.

Re: school refusal - southern england

My daughter is now 14 and will be 15 next month, she has been out of school now exactly 3 years. Usual problems - PE, drama, assembly - when first at Senior school that first September, gradually getting worse until her attendance was low and I was having to drag her in each day with no help from school. At Christmas she just completely flipped and I think we had been pushed her too far and she had a mental breakdown resulting in violence and separation disorder from me. Every night she was unable to sleep screaming and disbelieving everything I said having violent outbursts, when I met her in the house she'd aim her fist at me, hit me, start crying, put her arms out towards me asking me to tell her I love her and give her a cuddle (CAMHS said she blamed me for her state hitting out, not knowing why then asking for love then doing it again) this was much worse when I had to go to the school meetings listening to her kicking the locked front door hearing her screaming for me -then getting to the school to be told they dont believe a word I said and threatened with Court! The Special Needs Coordinator even suggested bribing her with sweets to get her to come to school! I had no choice but to deregister her and home educate for her own and my sanity, with no help fron the Dr and CAMHS telling me it was me not wanting her to go to school. The following 2 months were the worst, I showed her the letter from Dorset County Council about de-registering her and she took no notice, but when I showed her the letter from her old school she took it, read it, and calmed down. Education Otherwise were fantastic but Two years followed where she wouldnt let me leave the house without her, cut herself off from all her friends, wouldnt go anywhere by herself - life in limbo just seeing her cousin and playing on her Playstation. Friends called but she wouldnt see them. Things are now improving, but she now needs and wants to see other kids her age but all her friends have moved on without her and I'm now trying to find her some way to make new friends.

l