school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CBT

Hi all

Just a quick update - my son has now had 3 CBT sessions and boy what a difference !! Don't get me wrong he hasn't gone running into school singing, but he has now gone 3 days without a panic attack -that is a record. He really enjoys his sessions and the psychiatric nurse he is seeing is so funny - i do think that school is such a long way off if ever, but to see him laugh and not panic is amazing - lets hope the more sessions he has he improves each time.

Linda - you were so right best thing we have every done for him. Well recommended.

Sarah xx

Re: CBT

Hi Sarah,

That is so wonderful! I am just so pleased that you son has found CB helpful. Even if it is not the total answer at this stage, it seems it has something that other counselling just doesn't have.
Interesting you mention the therapist being funny. Our poor kids have this taken from them on this journey because in fact we are all so worried about them (and them about themselves) that humour can get lost, don't you think?
My son is passionate about comedy (especially from the UK) and this most likely has been exaggerated by his condition. He also is now very keen to listen to interviews with many comedians as he has noticed that a lot of comedians have had depression and anxiety and in fact still do but find humour is the only thing that keeps them going.
Keep us posted on how it continues. Do you ever join in the sessions? Do you know what kind of things she is talking over with your son that might help others on here who are looking for answers but have not yet tried CB?
Again - terrific news -
best wishes,
Linda