school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worse Case EVER !!!!!

Well - i feel absolutley dreadful, numb, hurt, upset need i go on - have you got the picture...................

Went to school this morning - nothing to do with my SR son, it was my youngest, to do with his medical condition. Anyway the teacher I was talking to did mention my SR son and said that she had been teaching for 28 years and had never come across such bad case as my SR son - well i just wanted to curl up and hide. Don't get me wrong I don't think for a minute she was being intentionally funny but it hurt so much. I am, like we all are doing everything we can to help our children but such a negative response has knocked me for 6 - it wasn't something I wanted to hear. Yes he has been off school for alot of the last 3 years but it''s not his fault. I wish they could read through these threads and see that he isn't the only one.

Really really sorry to go on, but I just want to hide under the duvet and cry - so so hurt.

Sar xx

Re: Worse Case EVER !!!!!

Sarah

jist another insesitive person who has no idea of what we are going through, you know in your heart that you are doing your best, so please try and let it fly over your head. You are a fantastic mum, so dont let anyone put you down. Give the teacher the website and let her read it for herself.

Take care
Dorothy x

Well said Dorothy, Sarah they just dont understand. Like i said before ' walk a mile in my shoes...' they wouldnt be so insensitive then would they.
Take care XXXX

Dorothy, try to ignore that ignorant comment. Easy to say, we all know.
I dont even bother now to try to explain to anyone outside of this forum about SR. They havent got a clue.

My daughter has been getting into school more regularly (not every day by any means) despite the pain she is in and yet her head teacher very helpfully(not) wrote on her review M is unlikely to achieve the required grades due to her lack of commitment to her studies.

What a complete ****hole. I wonder if our children go to the same school?

Chin up Dorothy. We are 100% with you and your son. x
(sorry for the rude words)

So sorry, sarah T.

I had just read Dorothys reply to your post and had her name on my mind.
please except my apologies, my reply was intended for you.

Penny xxx

The more i read, the more i am horrified just how badly we all are being treated.At least we have each other to share our thoughts and worries.
I dread monday morning....i know i have to try and get my daughter to school...no mean feat when she is as tall as me.She is only 11and being a taller child people think she should be able to cope..it's not fair that our children are put through this trauma every day..i don't know the answer but there must be something that can be done to ease our childrens pain and stop us being bullied and blackmailed into forcing them into school...My day starts at 6am..i have to get ready before i wake her as my time is spent getting her out of the bathroom...she gets dressed , brushes her hair and cleans her teeth all whilst sitting on the toilet..this can go on for 2 hours....i have always in the past been able to get her out of the house, now she is older i just can't..I can not physically move her any more.If i had younger children like some of you i don't know how i'd cope...you are all very brave..our lives are a misery at the moment i am sure you all are aware it has a total knock on effect in every thing that you do. I can no longer make appointments for the morning because i don't now if i'll make them....I wish some people could read this forum and realize what we are all coping with, if our children had a visible problem we would be treated differently.
Please feel free to email me. I will gladly reply
May we all find the strength to carry on x

Sarah - you poor thing - I know how awful you must have felt. She is so ignorant - and interestingly - I had the same conversation with my son's prep teacher who said she had never in her '35' years come across anything like this. At that stage I also had never come across it so went home and cried and thought the world had ended. After my son's teacher said that I could never look her in the eye again. 5 years later - the school is more aware regarding my son but I believe totally ignorant in regard to signs in others. I know that the statistics are something like 4-5% of children suffer from this so as my son's school is 400 students then they must have come across it. Perhaps the parents took the kids to another school out of desperation. Perhaps the school just blamed the parents and forgot about them. And I am sure that is the same in your case.

I also have to admit that I am totally confused myself as I used to be a secondary school teacher and I have to admit I did not come across what is now known as SR. Had I had a the parent contact me direct -I honestly would have done all the research I could have as I was always interested in kids welfare and found teenagers came to me to chat about all their problems. I cringe to know I might have taught an SR kid and did not know - but at the same time I know that perhaps I was never informed and was unable to put two and two together as it was not really known about 10 -15 years ago.......or was it!??? There was also a privacy policy regarding kids receiving counselling - teachers were not always informed unless the child might harm themselves. I only taught for 13 years so perhaps it was yet to show up -

Sarah - from my own admission of not knowing about SR as a teacher - I wonder if all the teachers who teach your son have all been informed by you yourself and not just the head teacher or coordinator? It is obviously different at primary when they just have the one but with secondary school - I think we need a meeting with every teacher that the kid comes across - or do you do that already?

My heart goes out to you - as Penny I think said - hold your chin up - you are a great mum and you have a great son - and like Sue always tells us - school does not have to be everything in our life.
I wish we could all meet up and have our own 'home school' and side skip all these hassles we just keep on getting and the awful stress we and our children go through :-)
Sorry for this long email - tried editing -
Take care -
Linda