school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Refusal...

After 3 years of my 12 year old daughter seeing a gastroenterologist, school refusal, a truancy charge and multiple days of agony parents their is help. The phyciatrist has given her meds (zoloft) and a slow reintergration into school 2 hours one week 21/2 the next etc., we have been hiking the slow hill. The cause according to multiple doctors we have seen is that approx. 12 years ago the schools came up the drill of lockdown to teach children how to hide in case of gunmen etc enter school...besides stop, drop and roll, these kids have had their security in school shaken to the core. Treatment is to reteach the kids that school is safe...Thats where we are at with mine. It appears to be working..
Not to mention, I myself had to toughen up and put in my own head that you cannot stay home. This toughen up thing and reminding her that school is safe, has been our keys. Good luck to all that have this problem. Dont do the homeschool thing if this wasnt your deal previously because it is a road to agoraphobia. Nobody wants that for their child...I almost went there. Rebuilding their confidence is critical. Totally critical.

Re: School Refusal...

Thank you for sharing that Bonnie, and i hope it all works out for you and your daughter. May I ask why the school took this approach to lock down etc ? I think it would frighten anyone let alone a child. It sounds as though your professionals have taken the correct approach and it has worked, it is so refreshing to hear good news.

Take care Sar

Bonnie, i am glad things are moving in a positive direction for your family and i fully appreciate what you are saying about home schooling but each of our children deal with these feelings in different ways, as do we as parents. Home schooling does not always lead to agrophobia as research shows, some school refusers who have ended up being home schooled have had successful lifes and careers, even become teachers! I do feel that to say 'do not home school' is a very blanket statement as for any of us thinking will know it a very difficult decision to make. There is alot of support and information out there regarding home schooling to help parents make the decision with their child and if dealt with in the right way social skills and intergration with peers will be built into the schooling they receive. Sorry if this appears a 'rant' . Hope all continues in a positive way for you and your family.

re homeschooling....I would never say no to homeschooling. I considered this closely and don't rule it out. This particular school that she attends has a "success" class for kids with anxiety (fears) etc. that works with these exact situations for which I am sooo lucky. I have seen relapses when the school day was extended beyond 5 hours. It truly is a big hill to climb. We all climb this big ole' hill when our kids have school refusal. Thank you for your time...

Lockdown is just the drill these kids practice often for the "just in case" situations. The professionals in my area believe that these multiple drills the kids learned from first grade up, are effecting their security for school. In reality, their has to be these types of drills to keep order and calm (somewhat) when situations arise. All I can do as a parent is keep trying to boost confidence in this system. Reassure.
Just keep climbing that big ole' hill....

BTW: I forgot to mention that my daughter has been keeping a journal for this, so she can let her feelings out. She takes this to all her Phsyc. meetings and to court. She says it helps her (which is ultimately the goal)...