school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Promoting the condition

Recent posts in this Forum have, yet again, highlighted the ignorance of some of those put in place to support us through these difficult times.

In another group, on a family history topic, one of the members has started a newspaper article writing campaign. Others in the group are taking up the idea, using his original article.

I wonder if any members of this group have writing skills (OK - I know you do, I see them here!) and would be prepared to write an article for a local paper that could be shared with others around the country to get more exposure of School Refusal/School Phobia?

We have a window of opportunity now, as local papers struggle to find news items to fill their pages.

Any volunteers?

Re: Promoting the condition

Simon, an excellent idea. Anything to educate the public. Were you thinking along the lines of a personal story or just generally educating the public on the issue? I have often thought of doing this here but didn't want to expose my son to local scrutiny. We don't have the same last name - so it might be fine - but a lot of people do know the name so it is not so easy.
Can you think of any way around this problem? We don't need to mention our children's names if it is a personal account.
I actually have wondered if working with my son's CB therapist on an article might be the way to go - the expert and the personal story?
Is it slow news out your way?! We have had so much new coverage on terrible floods and cyclones/hurricanes that I think I might have to wait awhile:-)
Linda

Hi

I was appraoched by a magazine about 12 months ago to do an article but they wanted to use actual photos of my son and name us etc so I declinded - this was done via a friend that wanted to help. Did anyone see Daybreak yesterday morning ? David Cameron was being interviewed about a new policy regarding mental health ( i know some people don't like term but I do classify anxiety as that - nothing to be ashamed of ) anyway it he has ploughed more money into mental health for children, I didn't catch it all but will go onto thier web site and see if there is anymore info on it. This problem needs to be highlighted and the sooner the better - Simon what do you need us to do ?

Sar xx

Hi Simon and everyone -

Thanks for inspiring me to send this letter below to the main newspaper in my city. Will also send to other papers. I hope they print it as it coincides with the kids going back to school. Hope it helps others - and feel free to use any of the wording if you want - and/or offer suggestions for any future letters I might write.
Linda

As Victorian children go back to school, spare a thought for those students who suffer 'School Refusal' or 'School Phobia' as it is sometimes known.
This anxiety disorder that causes physical symptoms such as nausea, fainting and genuine distraught tears at the thought of going to school is often misunderstood. This is so much more than separation anxiety for those starting school for the first time. Sometimes the anxiety shows up in primary school but is often overlooked as these children are not generally shy. Very occasionally it is the result of bullying but more often there is no known specific cause. By the time they are teenagers long periods of non attendance can occur. Schools tend to blame the parents with unhelpful comments such as, "You are too soft" or "You do realise you HAVE to get your child to school?" As if we didn't know or want to! Parents of these children are faced with trauma every school morning. They try all kinds of help from doctors, psychologists and sometimes medication - often to no avail. The children themselves easily become depressed because they do not want to be like this. The more they are misunderstood, the more at risk of suicide they are. Most of these children are very bright but because of this condition they fall behind in most of their school work, which again impacts on how they feel when or if they do return. As a parent of a child who suffers, I believe that by offering individual support, and understanding that this is not something made up by a lazy or naughty child is the first step in helping the child cope. There is no miracle cure for severe anxiety but Cognitive Behaviour Therapy can provide specific coping strategies. Some advice is available through the Anxiety Disorders Association of Victoria and Centracare Counselling service runs a School Refusal program for children who suffer. Monash University is also currently conducting research into this condition.