school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What a morning!!!!!!!!!

Dear all. Had a home visitthis morning from the EWo, George didnt make it into school, I knew this was comming, she explained to george that she was going to take him, you should off seen his faceee terror and tellling me that he hates me, well we gae to school she parks the car, we go to the office and George runs Off, I spend the next 15 mins trying to get him to the office, with him and me crying him telling me he is going to kill himself, if i make himgo to school, eventully, i get him to the office we r both in tears..... The ewo is telling me he is only saying tthese things to hurt u, i know that, but how would u like it if your child said these things, he is myy son...xxxxxIn the enda specail needs teacher and a T a come down to George reasure him ... I go off to work in tears with the EWO giving me a lift to work...... To cut a Very long story short..... HShe said to me GEORGE HAS SCHOOL PHOBIA.......thank u about time somebody has reconasied that there is a problem... I have a metting with the school this afternoon, so lets see if they change there tune, now that somebody has said there is a problem.. I have worried all day about Geeorge, phoned the school, he has been fine, I know when he gets home its going to be hell but at least, it has shown them that there is a problem..... samxxxx Thanks for being there...xx and sorry about the spelling

Re: What a morning!!!!!!!!!

Sam - you now have the diagnosis which is brilliant - try and get it in writing. Wow what a day you have had. We are all behind you 100% and will support you. Hope the meeting at school goes OK and keep us posted.

Sarah xx

What a morning to go through, is so hard to leave them there and the schools 'their fine when they are here' feels like a line.....hope you are both feeling better now and that you have a better day tomorrow. Get your ewo to put her comment re the phobia in writing....you'll need it further in your journey. Luck and best wishes to you and your family.XXX

Sam - our hearts go out to you - what an awful morning for you both. I am glad they have finally recognised what the situation is though - that seems like a step forward despite the trauma. How did it go after school?
My son is 11 - and has yelled all those things at me too - it just breaks your heart, doesn't it. From my own experience I don't feel anyone dragging the kids to school is the way to go. I just think it creates so much trauma for both our child and ourselves that it takes us some time to get over it. I also think it breaks the trust the child needs in us. The 'authorities' and psychologists don't all agree on this method but many do - and yet they don't really know the problem - they are not experiencing it. Are you able to talk to your son about how that wasn't the answer to be dragged there and if you work on it together you can try and break through the barrier? I don't know why I am giving advice!!!! But my son did go to school today - we talked on and off yesterday about how we'd tackle it and also his CB therapist threatened a home visit on Friday morning and would drag him to school if he didn't go - she thought it might be an incentive for him to go today as he refused to see her yesterday.

I wonder if a Cognitive Behaviour therapist can help out and try and turn your son's negative thought patterns around? As I have said before - it is not the full answer (especially with young children) but I do feel it has helped my son.
I hope tomorrow is a calmer day for both of you - we are all here to support you and help where we can.
Take care,
Linda