school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post your experiences

Guys

Can you please post your experiences, problems with schools LEAs etc or even a few lines regarding your situation so i can show our MP at my meeting next week.

Thanks

Sarah xx

Re: Post your experiences

I will mention 2 things:
a. lack of co-ordination between organisations involved
b. CAHMS unable/unwilling to get involved early enough 'not serious enough'.

Good luck, Sarah

i agree with Simon, no co-ordination, problem not treated seriously, mass difference between LEA's and how it is dealt with, schools seem more bothered about their league tables than the child, lack of knowledge about the condition......i could go on and on....GOOD LUCK

I agree with Simon and Sue....
All i have found they care about is actually getting the child into school...whatever state they are in..Our children need desperate help...not punishment

hi Sarah,

Good luck with this - and good on you!
Apart from my account that I sent you - a couple of things - some that have already been said by others I think (hard to remember when you write the post as all posts are not in front of me!).

1. Our kids do not want to be like this.
2. We obviously care about the education of our kids so would appreciate a lot more input from the school to keep us up to date with what the children are studying etc as well as more sensitivity to their 'needs' whilst at school.
3. If kids can't get into school sometimes they are home alone (obviously not a good situation for any child)
4. This is a REAL condition of ANXIETY and must be taken seriously as a mental health issue. Their mental health is at stake. Dragging them in is not the answer and schools must understand this - there will always be a lot of absence.
5. There needs to be a lot more education on what SR is so that school authorities and teachers treat this properly and don't just blame the parents and suspect spoilt kids.
6. SR is a misunderstood term as it sounds like the child is naughty and just 'refusing' to go....so perhaps interchange with 'school phobia' when talking to the MP??

I do hope your MP is a good listener and also takes some steps towards action. I'd love to hear your experience as I have been thinking about contacting my MP as there has been a lot of emphasis from our governments on adolescent mental health (but it doesn't seem to have filtered down to SR).
All the best Sarah,. I am sure you have a whole list of things to put to the MP from your experience.
Linda

Hi Sarah,

As you know we had 5 years of SR and it was the most nerve racking time of our lives.

There are many changes I would like to see to enable our youngsters to get access to education and be 'accepted', here are just a few:-

1) There needs to be a greater understanding by the schools of SR.

2) It would be good if there was a little more empathy from professionals/authorities/schools when dealing with a youngster with SR.

3) Listen to parents ..... WE KNOW OUR CHILDREN!

4) Work WITH the condition rather than against - a little more flexibility when setting targets.

5) Easier access to education for SR's. More units for SR's like they have for 'suspended' children. Our children WANT an education!

6) Our youngsters are NOT naughty, they do not understand why they are so scared of school, just because 'professionals dont understand the fear, doesnt mean it isnt real.

7) Earlier diagnosis so that 'tuition/educational support' can be set up to ensure the youngsters get back into a routine as soon as possible, instead of days spent at home effecting their self esteem.

8) There needs to be a central point where all agencies can report to. In our experience no one knew what was happening as there was no communication between professionals, causing us to slip through the net until I fought to get help again.

Good luck with MP Sarah, we really need some help, lets just hope this is a step in the right direction. If there's anything else I can do just call me.

Sue and M.

Sorry this is a bit late,

I think one of the biggest problems we encountered was ' once he is in school he is fine' or ' he managed yesterday so what was the problem today' if it was that easy our children would be in every day, unfortunately each day for a SR is a huge mountain, and some days that mountain is to high to climb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you need anything else Sarah then please let me know, good luck

Take care
Dorothy x