school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Monash Uni research

hi everyone,
I have decided to try the Monash University research program into SR. I originally did not join my son in this as I did not want him to end up in the group that took medication. But with my son having yet another meltdown this morning - I have decided it is time. I will keep you posted on what the program involves (all children receive CB therapy but some receive medication as well or a placebo). You can see more about this research: http://www.med.monash.edu.au/spppm/research/devpsych/srp.html

I guess I am feeling a bit desperate now as things have not changed for the past 5 years and whilst I should have kept up the CB therapy as I do believe it helps - we had 6 weeks of Christmas holidays in the middle and that seems to have been the setback. It has been touch and go whether he gets to school ever since and with this just being the start of the year it has me really worried as this is his last year of Primary school and I can't imagine something magically happening before secondary school. I'll go and make a cup of tea.....time to relax those nerve ends:-(
Take care everyone -
Linda

Re: Monash Uni research

Me again. You wouldn't believe it - but my son is not bad enough to fit the criteria for the research!!! I am so disappointed. They only want children who have at least 4-6 weeks off and are unable to return. This must normally be for teenagers as I am sure most of tend to get the Primary aged kids there on and off. I am now at a loss what to do as my son has chronic SR since Prep. So....nothing to report - but obviously somewhere out there in my city there are parents who are having an even harder time than myself.
Hope you all enjoy your time off.
Linda