school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A full week!!

I am so happy. My son, after 5 sessions of CBT has managed a full week at school! He has been nervous each morning, but has stayed all day for 5 whole days. This hasn't happened since before Christmas. The CBT therapist has helped him understand about how he catastrophises and helped him to get things into persepective. He has also begun to understand how his anxiety formed and stemmed from a separation anxiety which meant he would rather be with me than at school and so became a fear of school. I know this is just one good week and that we will probably still have some difficult ones ahead, but I just want everyone to know that it can get better. Just last week I was feeling really desperate and even thinking of changing schools. I just wish the NHS hadn't wasted so much time and had done the CBT 2 years ago, but I will not dwell on what could have been. I feel like a normal mum for once.

Anne

Re: A full week!!

Anne, I am so pleased for you both. You must be feeling on top of the world.
Have a lovely weekend.

Penny x

Congratulations! I feel very happy for you and your son. Keep up the good work.

Anne, that's fantastic news!

Well done you and congratulations to your son, it cant have been easy. What a star!

Sue and M.

fab news long may it continue

Sar x

Hi Anne,

Wonderful news - your son must be feeling so much better about himself having achieved this and you must be so relieved. It is great that the CB therapy is working. Wish we'd also got onto this sooner. Seems a lot of time is wasted trying to find the right thing to help and the right support.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Linda

Anne

Well done to both of you, it gives us all a lift, enjoy your weekend.

Take care
Dorothy x