school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transition Primary to Secondary

My son is already starting to worry about secondary school which starts January next year. He says he doesn't think he'll be able to face it. Not sure if I should expose him to things more at the secondary school and talk and visit etc or just wait until they do transition later in the year. Any advice re Primary to Secondary transition appreciated (perhaps in hindsight even?).
Thanks, Hope there are a few small and big steps being taken out there...and if not - tomorrow is another day.
Linda

Re: Transition Primary to Secondary

Linda - i am the last person to give advise on the move as that is where our problems started. I knew he would find it difficult and spoke to the primary school ed psy about my fears. but it was brushed under the carpet and the sad thing is i let it - thought they knew best.

However, the primary school and senior school in question now do a transition course for children they think may have difficulties and it is very good - too little too late for my son but hey they are learning.

They take the children who think may need it across to the school quite a few times, for different lessons lunch etc in order to help them and the kids loved it. Quite funny really as son no 2 went up in Sept and they put him on the course which he thought was really funny - he is not a SR and did tell them he as a different child ( i think they thought they'd better not get it wrong with him ) and they even have a primary class where these children ( not son 2 though ) stay in the same class room for all their lessons with the same teacher then after 6 months gradually integrate them into the school - fab idea just wish they had done that 4 years ago.

Oh well, Linda you know your son best you do what you feel is right.

Good luck with it all.

Sarah xx

Sounds like what your primary school is doing now is very helpful - we don't have anything like that at my son's school - just one day of transition later in the year.
I will talk to the primary and secondary and see if they recommend anything.
It is very much the unknown really, isn't it. But I doubt my son will magically improve once going to secondary - I have a gut feeling it will get worse. So much of their childhood is spent in this state - it is really sad, if only we could see them being the kids they really are inside. Thanks for your comments - maybe someone else has some advice?
Linda

Linda,

We are lucky as our Primary School and High School are on the same campus, so it is not such a big thing.
We are also lucky in that our High School hosts a range of activities and has a leisure centre, so we have an opportunity to go for a variety of events and activities which allows PS children to build awareness. There is a Harry Potter film this weekend (a charity night), for example.
My advice, for what its worth, is to see what is going on and attend, if appropriate.

Simon