school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moving school

Well, I have finally given up on my son's school. After nearly 3 years I have had such an awful week and the school have been so unhelpful that I have decided I cannot cope with them any longer. On Monday, my son couldn't go in and after almost 1 hour of trying the headmaster passed by and told me to leave his school things with him and drive off (my son was outside the school gates at this time). He then said that he would call the police and my son would be classed as a truant and the school would deal with the situation. I refused as this is not fair. The same thing happened on Thursday (not with the head master but another member of staff) and I decided to try. After driving 10 minutes away I decided to call and check he was OK and was told that I should come back to the school as they didn't know where he was and that I needed to drive around and find him or call the police (so now they are not dealing with it). The member of staff helping that morning had given me her personal mobile number, but when this was found out we were told that I could not use this and that I must call the school office if I need help, but I have already had a letter from the head saying that I cannot call the office and ask for help. So now I have a complete brick wall between my son and the school. This has driven me to look elsewhere and having spoken to another school their attitude seems to be so welcoming that I have decided the time has come to move him. I know the grass always seems greener on the other side, but it surely can't be any worse than at his current school.

I am also seeing my MP on Friday next week so if anybody wants me to say anything in particular, please let me know.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel so much better for making such a big decision and my son seems happy with it. The new school is much nearer and so at least the problem will be on my doorstep.

Anne

Re: Moving school

Anne - what an awful situation, really can't believe it - but then again i can.

If your son is happy to move schools then go for it as you say it can't be any worse.

I had great success with our MP, with just one phone call my son got extra home tutoring.

Good luck

Sarah xx

Hi Anne,

What an awful situation! Sadly its so typical, if we don't all fall into their way of things, then they seem to gang up on us as if we are trouble makers.
I was told by a worker at Connections that the school felt they had done more than enough for me and were not prepared to do anymore.
I had visions of them all sitting in the room after the meetings, moaning about me, it wasnt a good feeling ..... I was only trying to look out for my daughter!

If your son is prepared to move to another school and they seem more open to SR then go for it.

I wish you lots of luck and hope your son settles.

Take care and remember you are a really good mum!

Sue and M. x

Hi Anne,

That must have been so hard for you. When a school only wants to involve the police- that IS bad. As if it isn't bad enough for your son (and you) already!! Good on you for the big decision re changing schools. It could not be worse but as you say - the problem might go with your son but at least it is closer to you and your initial gut feeling is a good one.
All the best and let us know the outcome,
Linda