school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
National Curriculum

Hi,

I am preparing myself for my son not to return to school for the summer term. He wants to start a new school in Sept and I am trying to sort this out. He is insisting that he just needs a new start in a new school where he 'isn't labelled'. He is absolutely sure that he doesn't want to be home schooled so fingers crossed. I know his SR may well follow us but my son is insisting this is not the case. He is very sociable and is out and about during holiday times with his pals so I am planning on spending the summer term getting him back into studying. He like others finds it hard to study at home but understands that in order to get back into school, he needs to do some work! He has agreed that his X Box will leave the house during term time until he is into a routine of studying at home. He understands that this is temporary however I am sure that we will have huge fights over this when the time comes but so be it. He understands it is a necessity as it is too much of a distraction for him...

Does anyone know where I can find out what topics within subjects etc. he should be studying in year 9? I just can't find it anywhere on the internet. He will be/should be starting year 9 in Sept and I want to get him ahead so he feels confident when he returns...

Sophy

Re: National Curriculum

Sophy

I'm really not sure if every education authority has the same curriculum for every area or at the same time as they go by key stages - ie some schools will cover part of the curriculum for ks3 in year 7 where others may cover it in years 8 and 9, but when i home taught my son for KS3 i used bbc bitesize for alot of the work which i found exceptionally helpful, covering basic subjects such as numeracy, literacy, science and humanities. What you can do is ask your local LEA as they will be able to tell you what your new chosen school will be covering.

Your son has taken a very mature approach in starting a fresh in Sept, and i wish you all the very best with it - i really do.

Good luck

Sar x

Dear Sarah,

Thank you, I will definitely checkout the BBC website. My son is taking a mature approach, the problem I have is do I believe him. I am trying to be positive but of course my fear is that his SR will go with him.
But, I am constantly being told to listen to my son and let him take control so this is what I am doing. To be fair, when he went for his assessment at this potential new school, there seemed to be no anxiety and he jumped out the car and spent the morning there and came out saying 'I love this school'. But I have been told that he didn't do great in his assesment and it will be down to his reference from his current school and interview which we are waiting for. He also doesn't have the social anxiety, he goes out all the time during holiday time and will happily have sleepovers but during school hours he won't leave the house.
But his current headmistress said to me 'this will go with him you do know this don't you'.

But we all know how the anxiety creeps up on our children when we least expect it....It just seems to be with my boy whenever there is something he doesn't want to do!!!!

Happy holidays everyone..

sophy

Hi Sophy,

Good luck with the preparation for your son's new school. It's a new start - I am sure you will both just take what comes one way or the other. Your son is hoping that his SR just disappears - and sometimes this does happen - so hard as it may be, you have to believe him at the moment. But I certainly know how you feel re not sure whether anything will come of his current feelings. As long as you are there for him.
The school might be able to help you regarding what he needs to know? They might be able to provide you with some details at least or topic areas that they will cover within the curriculum. I notice a school site below has details which may or may not be relevant to you - but perhaps an indication of the type of thing you might be able to get from the school he will be going to.
Linda

http://www.kefw.bham.sch.uk/ke/curriculum/year_9