school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Extra Tuition

Well we have had a bit of a breakthrough. My son has home tuition 3 afternoons a week, and they called to say as he did so well going to the centre last week that they can now offer him an extra 3 half days at the centre. This will still be on a one to one basis 2 sessions studying btec sports science and the other science.

The tutor how delivered the news was not happy at all as she said it would put him back and told the centre this, but my son is over the moon and really looking forward to it.

They will take him on Tuesday afternoon for a chat with the PE teacher and a look round and if he doesn't want to do it then thats fine he will continue with what he is doing - they have taken all the stress out of it and he is very hopeful. This just goes to show that when dealing with professionals that know how to deal with SR get the best out of the pupils.

This means he will get 3 full days one to one tuition which in my opinion is as good as 5 days at school.

He has also spent 6 hours this weekend on one piece of homework which is unheard of, so really chuffed.

Hope everyone else is ok.

Love to all

Sarah xx

Re: Extra Tuition

Sarah

thats great news, so pleased for you both.

thanks everyone for the support.

take care
Dorothy x

Well theres more - he has now been offered a day per week doing photography / video game design course which if he completes will give him 2 extra qualifications !!

Where has all this come from ?? Don't get me wrong i am delighted and so is my son but this does seem so unfair when there are families struggling to get any assistance at all - mind you we have waited 3.5 years for this.

Do you think it is a bit of a postcode lottery ?

Sar xx

Hi Sarah,

I'm so pleased for you and your son. It's great news.

Yes I do think its a postcard lottery sadly, but be happy with it, you've waited a long time and fought every step of the way.

Hopefully other will find their way too.

Good luck to you all.

Sue and M. x

Great news! Better late than never, but it shows that it is worth persevering.

That is great for you both, Sarah. You must be very pleased to have the help finally arriving after all this time. It is a shame it is not more widespread re what can be put in place but at least at your end you've made some progress.
Good luck -
Linda

I do feel very guilty posting our news but wanted to let you all know what was happening with us. I am about to leave the office and attend the follow up CAF meeting which apparently we have every 6 weeks.

It is such a shame that everyone doesn't get the same attention, but apparently I am the only one who has "stuck our school out" others have either transfered to other schools or just withdrawn the child - bet im not popular LOL.

It is such a shame that it has all come to this - I was talking to a friend earlier about it all and said that the attention and individual lessons he is now receiving would equal an expensive private school - her reply was i bet Matt would rather be at a normal school like eveyone else he didn't want to be like this.

Anyway off to see what else they can offer - hey you never know.

Sar xx