school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
almost there

Hi Guys

Sorry I've not been able to give support lately, I feel when things arn't great then the last thing I can do is give support to others, but I do think about you all.

We have had another rough week, the tuition hasn't been great but my boy has sat modern studies standard grade and he has english tomorrow, maths is nest wednesday then that is it, he will be 16 next month so not sure what type of support the education authority will supply, we have a meeting in a couple of weeks so we will see, on a more positive note, he has an interview at college next thursday, so fingers crossed for that. I am so proud of what my son has acheived over the years, there has been a lot of tears, sleepless nights, arguments etc( and thats only from me), I hope I have given my son the support and love that he has needed over the years, but we wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn't for Simon and the friends I've met here, I can still remember the first post I sent to Simon, it feels like yesterday and it upsets me to still feel so raw even after all these years, but I'm a much stronger person now and hopefully I can help other going through this nightmare.

Sorry seem to have gone on and on, there is so much i would like to say, but everyone on this forum knows how I feel, so thank you again for all the support.

Take care
Dorothy x

Re: almost there

Dorothy,
Thank you for your kind words, but I assure you it has been a two way street. I have had so much support from everyone. Sadly, we are not though the woods yet. Out of the tunnel maybe, but still not quite there.

The leaving school age thing is a difficult one. Our education authority seemed only too pleased when we reached that stage. They were able to wash their hands.

Our daughter has, today, received an offer of counselling. Something that she was never able to accept before. There are also a couple of other things on offer. One of these is 'Beating the Blues' - a self-help computer programme. It is, apparently based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Anyone know about it?

Dorothy - i read your thread about an hour ago but just didn't know what to say, i really am chocked. oh boy what a journey we have been on - all of us but i think our boys are so so similar in just about everything our stories just mirror each others in so many ways. I try not to think about the past too much now - the rows the tears the constant battles in the early days before i understood - the authorities i could go on and on - there have been some very dark times. I am so pleased you are almost there and this time next year we will be too. Wish R all the best from us and be proud of him.

Simon - i didnt realise things were still a little rocky for you, i feel for you i really do. Dorothy is so right - if you hadn't set up this forum so many families would be so so lost and frightened thinking they were alone so please take great comfort in this fact - amazing guy.

Love to all

Sar

Sarah

Thanks, you are right our boys are so alike, unfortnately I think the memories of those dark days are never far away, I'm also so aware that they can come back and haunt us at the drop of a hat, but thankfully there are now more 'good' days.

We're not going any where though and will still be here to share the good times as well as the bad.

Take care
Dorothy x

Hi Dorothy,

Hang in there. You sound really down. You know we all know how that feels at times. The strain on us is enormous and we don't always realise that until it starts to take its toll after so long. Your son is trying by the sound of it and with those small steps you can only take each one as they come. It is a shame that there is no consistent help or support. Feel free to tell us how you feel - we are listening.
And I do hope that something is just around the corner for you in terms of what support might be in place for after he turns 16. All the best -
Linda

Simon

Our daughter has, today, received an offer of counselling. Something that she was never able to accept before. There are also a couple of other things on offer. One of these is 'Beating the Blues' - a self-help computer programme. It is, apparently based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Anyone know about it?

Hi Simon. I don't know about this one in particular but having just looked on line it does look well set up. I did, however, hear an expert who set up something similar in Australia (Queensland University) talk in a TV discussion about anxiety and I recall him saying that they found it had a significant effect on those suffering from anxiety. The fact that someone suffering anxiety sometimes finds it hard to get to an appointment made the on-line CBT much easier to access and the outcomes were studied and seemed to be positive. My feeling is it is definitely worth a try. Good luck.
Linda

GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE ALMOST THERE - sounds like its all been a nightmare - hope this is the start of good times for you all

Linda

Thanks, I always found in work that when the babies were critically ill, the parents coped taking one day at a time, when they were almost ready for home, thats when the parents seemed to crash, thats when they have time to think about the enormity of what they were going through, and I really think that is what happens to us, we go through so many emotions through the years, constantly fighting with authoroties and trying to keep things normal at home, then when everything we have been fighting for is almost at an end we crumble.

Sorry I've not been able to offer advice lately, but you are often in my thoughts.

Take care
Dorothy x

Hi Dorothy,

Sorry to hear you've had a rough patch again. Stay strong things will look up, we all know how up and down things are with SR.

Dont ever worry about not coming onto the site, I cant always face it, as it brings back those dark days and the stories haunt me sometimes. Even though M and I are through it (touch wood) I still worry about what you are all going through and what if it comes back for us? I'm just coming out of a deep depression myself and I'm sure its related to the years of stress with SR and the fact thats its almost (?) over.

Simon - hope things improve for you and your daughter, stay strong. You've helped so many people with this site and I just wanted to say a great big THANK YOU and we are here for you anytime.

I just wish i could wave a wand for us all .........

Hugs

Sue and M. x