school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Education

We had our first assessment from the LEA regarding the education we are providing at home for our son and despite all my worries and fears it went really well. My son was brilliant and spoke to the chap from the LEA, showing him his work etc...5 months ago he would have locked himself in his room and refused to speak to him....what a long way we have come in such a short time! The assessor was very impressed with what we do and said he was scoring us as providing an education that exceeded expectations...something he had never done on a 1st assessement. When he left myself, my husband and son all punched the air and shouted 'YES'....a great moment and so different from just 5 months ago. Yes its hard work, Yes I have had sleepless nights worrying that we weren't doing enough etc and I'm sure I will have them again but to see my son talking to a complete stranger with confidence etc is worth it all. The assessor was also suprised to see how much the school hadn't done that they should have...no suprise there for us....and he was going back to his office to ask questions. I just thought I'd share something positive

Re: Home Education

Sue - what a positive outcome, well done, and to notice the school's short falls and comment on them is a real feather in your cap.

What are your long term goals - is it to continue HE or would you like your son to go back to school ?

In the meantime keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Sarah xx

sue you gave me goosebumps reading your post so pleased for you ,you and your husband are obviously doing something right and it seems the right thing to do for your son.my son was very happy when i home educated him! well done

The long term aim is that one day he will be ready to return to school but at the moment we are taking it a 'term' at a time. I'm not sure he will ever return until he is old enough for college and that is 3 years down the line but we will deal with things as we have too.