school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
schools over

Hi everyone

Had our final meeting yesterday, they know my boy had an interview at college but didn't know if he had accepted or not, they are delighted with the out come and asked us to tell him well done, he didn't come to meeting, we obviously thanked them for all there help and support over the years and of course I had to get my bit in lol, I said that I hoped that they had learned from our situation and that there are lots of children out there who are school phobic, I said that I hoped it would highlight things and that these children would get help sooner than we ever did, the head of year agreed and said that she realises that school is not for everyone.......................support for learning teacher said that she would really like to see him again and asked if he would come in as he has to sign leavers forms, they also thought it would be good for his last memory of school to be a pleasant one, he said he will go in, we have had so many problems over the years but our scholl have always been supportive, and we thank them for it. Things are so much more relaxed in our house now, well deserved.

Tracey

I hope we have given you some hope, whenever we felt that we weren't getting any where then we went higher, first school then education department and so on, they have a legal obligation to teach your child, where ever that may be, stay strong.

Take care
Dorothy x

Re: schools over

Hi Dorothy,

So glad to hear things in your household are so much more relaxed (I do long for that feeling and know that you have too!). Well done to you and your son.
Probably going back to finish on a pleasant note is a good idea otherwise it will be all bad memories (although one is not going to make up for many!).
Good luck and please stay in touch and let us know how you and your son go in the next step.
best wishes,
Linda

What a long road you have travelled but you have reached the end, and i bet you all feel as though a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

I wish all your family all the very very best for the future and please stay in touch and keep supporting us pleeeeeease xx

Sarah xx

Well done to you and your family, we are all on an uncertain journey and to be at the end of it must be a blessing. Take care and best wishes for all you and your do in the future. XXXX

The feeling of relief that school is over is a very profound one. i am so glad that you and your son can now look forward to college and I wish you both my very best wishes.

We are still on countdown, One exam monday, then weds. then one the following monday and that's it. Even if my daughter doesnt get the grades for her course we know that the college will offer her something. She said yesterday that when she gets to college she thinks she will feel happier and healthier........and I think she will too.

Big hugs Dorothy and son.
xxxxxxxxx

Penny - you too are so near the end and i am pleased for you all that have survived this long journey.

I would ask that you please all of you stay in touch and help the ones who are left it would be brilliant if you could we would be so grateful..

I cant wait until this time next year when we can say the same.

Sar xx

thanks so much Penny, it's such a releif for our children when the exam's are over, and for us, good luck with the rest of the exams, then she can enjoy the holidays and have a well earned break.

take care
Dorothy x

Good luck to you all - and please stick around. Your experience is so helpful to others at the same stage. I am around for a long time yet and might almost be an expert on the UK system from reading on here but ....not the same as you guys who are there.

Son is now ill. One week starts to meld into the next. However, have got a tutor now who will come to the house after school hours once a week for maths and English. Life certainly throws us some challenges, doesn't it!! My mood goes up and down depending on how well I am coping - today I am ok - don't know why - but I think Sue's words of acceptance are so important to all of us. I think I am getting there but have some setbacks when I just want everything to be normal again. We don't have holidays yet - another four weeks.
Take it easy all of you in the UK:-)
Linda