school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home tuition

Having battled for the last few years with my son's growing anxiety regarding school, I have finally decided to provide home tuition. Problem is that I work full time and the EWO who has been worse than useless, says that there needs to be an appropriate adult in the home while the tutor (who is CRB checked and a teacher of long standing) is tutoring. My son is 15 and a half and quite happy to be on his own with the tutor.

Is it absolutely necessary at this age to have an appropriate adult present? Legally I could leave him with a babysitter who is younger than him and not CRB checked so it seems a bit ludicrous to me.

Re: Home tuition

Hi Dianne

I dont know the law, but my son who is also 15 has to have another adult present when he has his tutor, she says thats their policy.

Sorry i can't help anymore

Sarah xx

Hi Dianne,

Yes my daughter who was also when she had home tutoring, aslo had to have an adult present.
My mum used to just call round for the hour and and sit in the kitchen.
The tutors said it was to cover them in case anything untoward was reported.
On rare occasions though, the tutors would come round even when my mum couldnt make it, but it had to be rather secretive.
Daft isnt it?

Sue and M x

Sometimes I think the whole world is mad, and I am the only sane person left. And you, of course!!!

Our children go to tutoring in the tutors' houses unsupervised, but they cannot come here? I don't get it.

Dianne, you will find a great bunch of people here all trying to do doing their best for their children. I have not been contributing much recently, but I read every post. Some make me laugh, some bring tears to my eyes, but all inspire me with the dedication of caring parents.

There is always someone here when you need someone to talk to.

Take care,
Simon

Simon - so good to hear from you, hope you are all well up North.

Your mad friend !!

Sarah xx

hi my son meets his tutors in the library,this works well as it gets him out of the house as he s abit of a hermit.hope it all works out take care donna

What a good idea, kills 2 birds with one stone.

Sar xx

Thanks Simon I wish I'd known about this site 12 months ago. You tend to feel like you're the only people going through this. Quite a relief to know we're not alone. Dianne

Simon

nice to see your message, I also read every post, as you know I wouldn't have got through this without them. Hope things are well with you, I've got the feeling things are not, think we are all close enough to read each other, remember we are always here.

Take care
Dorothy x