school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oooh

Well, im not sure if to laugh or cry really. Just been in a meeting with a client i don't know on a personal basis, but get on great with on a professional level. The conversation did turn around to the teachers strike tomorrow - she said her daughter was going on a special trip as she has 100% - well done her !! Anyway she went on to say that she could n't believe that not every child had 100% and there was even one child in her daughters class that was down to 90%. I just sat and listened to her rant on that it is all down to discipline and bad parenting and these children should be made to go and the parent were at fault. I smiled sweetly as I left the meeting having not contributing to the topic ( not the right place really ) half of me feels ashamed of myself not sticking up for our children but it really wasn't the time, and half of me feels very sorry for her ignorance. Hey ho at least son No2 is in !!

OOOh

Sarah xx

Re: oooh

hi some people just have no idea what we and our children go through.would love to have seen her face if you had told her your son is sr lol

To be honest she took the wind out of my sails a little - and with quite a few others there it was difficult. Hey to be honest she was only saying what i would have probably said 4 years ago before i understood !!

Unless you have been there you have absolutley no idea !!

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

Some people are so judgemental, aren't they. Not sure how they really visualise the home life of 'these' kids though.
I recall when my son first started school and the new parents met for morning tea. One mother said to me rather primly - "You can tell the troublesome kids - my husband and I call them the AFS kids." When I asked what that meant - she said 'The Absent Father Syndrome." Why on earth I didn't jump down her throat and tell her my son's father was absent and take the wind out of her sails, I don't know. But the room was full and I said nothing. These days I'd have a piece of her!

We have to educate re SR as best we can but there is a time and place.
Holidays start for us now for two weeks. It has been a very tough term for us and I know it has for so many of you all out there -
Enjoy the break! Thanks everyone for being here and listening - I wouldn't have made it through the term without you all: -)
Linda

enjoy your holiday linda take care donna

Linda

have a fab fab holiday - can't wait for ours in 3 weeks LOL

Sarah

xx