school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This Morning

Hi - did anyone see This Morning on ITV 1 ? the phone in was about problem teenagers and one mum called to say her 15 year old son wouldn't go to shool and what could she do ? The expert straight away said they needed to find out if he was a SR or a truant ! oooh my ears ******* up as i was working from home. They went on to explain the difference and the expert said she was a SR, ad missed lots of school due to anxiety etc. They went on to talk about if it was the parents fault - oooh i had the phone in my hand ready but she explained that it was the sheer fact they were terrified of school, and school doesn't suit everyone !! well i did try and get through but too late. Linda apologies This Morning is a daily talk show that talks to celebs, daily issues etc.

Hey there you go !!

Sarah xx

Re: This Morning

oh thats sounds interesting will try and find on the internet thanks sarah

let me know if you find anything x

Hi Sarah,

It is good when you know they are out there talking about it. I think in the last two years at least there has been a lot more known about it.
I had a quick look too to see if I could find anything on the program you mentioned - didn't find anything relating to that but did find a new mention of it in the US - so anyone out there in the US might find it good to know that there is a hospital (I think in the Chicago area) that has a program for school refusers. See below

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/health&id=7686153

We are enjoying the second week of the holidays - my son is a different person in the holidays.
Hope everyone else is hanging in there.
Linda

How long do you get off for the break Linda ? i presume your long break is towards Christmas ? We break up week on Friday yipeeeeeee more excited than the boys !1

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

We've had two weeks - back to school next week. Yes - we get the long break over Christmas during the Summer. Wishing you and everyone else who has holidays a relaxing time.
We have our psychiatrist appointment (the first) next week.
Linda

Good luck with the appointment i'm sure it will be fine. Seems funny to us having Christams in the summer lol I am so so looking forward to the boys finishing next week and having some hassle free mornings !!

Sarah xx