school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A good start to the new term

Hi

We have started the new term here and my son has just got up and gone to school so far. I am very proud of him.

It seems ironic that we have the psychiatrists appointment this week and interestingly enough - things are running smoothly. I wish I knew why so that I could repeat the environment/circumstances/thought process again! As usual I know a blip will be round the corner somewhere.

Hoping no one out there is struggling alone. Wishing those of you on holiday a lovely break.
Linda

Re: A good start to the new term

hi linda so glad your day is going well, well done to your son you should be very proud take care donna

Great news Linda, really hope it continues.

Sarah xx

Thanks Donna and Sarah, hope you are having a relaxing break from the stress.

Thats great news Linda!

Long may it continue. Just take it one day at a time.

Smiles!

Sue and M x

Thanks Sue. He even went yesterday afternoon after the psychiatrist visit and ....has gone again today. The first full week this year.
The psychiatrist visit went well and she seems really positive and decisive and is not rushing down the medication road. Interestingly enough - I had not realised that my son was perhaps hoping she would prescribe medication as I had talked about this possibility some time back. I hope I didn't lift his expectations but we will see what happens over the next few sessions and how he progresses this term.

He did have another anger outburst regarding not wanting to see the tutor after school. This is the second time but I just hung on and finally as the time came for the tutor to arrive he calmed down. I note on this forum that other children seem to have difficulties meeting with and refuse to see tutors Why do you think this is?
I wondered whether my son was a bit of a perfectionist and if he hasn't done the homework then he feels he will have let himself and the tutor down? He couldn't put it into words so I am just guessing. I certainly made nothing of him having not done the homework (apart from having reminded him once or twice initially) and the tutor said 'don't worry - next time.'

During and after the sessions he is fine. I'm trying to get a picture of what might be happening to try and help or prevent things arising in the future, especially if we need more tutors to fill the gaps.
All the best to everyone struggling -
Linda