school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anxiety and Pyrrole disorder

Hi

Has anyone heard of or had experience with something called 'Pyrrole disorder' that is genetic and can effect children or adults? When reading about the symptoms I notice they seem to sum up my son. I wonder is it a coincidence or what the story might be? Why hasn't a doctor explored this I wonder - why don't they look at all options before deciding it is somehow an inbuilt chemical inbalance.

In the case of this disorder it can be assisted greatly be rebalancing B6 and Zinc and this is not just an alternative diagnosis thrown out into the realm of herbal treatments. Curious to know if there are any other such inbalances that perhaps we also could be looking at. We just get sent down the 'mental health' road - which it is - but without anyone suggesting a cause outside of the idea the child is destined to suffer the anxiety or had an experience that set it off.

The fact that my son can sometimes just get up and go to school and yet at other times finds it absolutely impossible to go for days or weeks on end.
Love to hear from any of you but understand its holiday time .....so don't worry yet!
Take care -
Linda

Re: Anxiety and Pyrrole disorder

hi linda will google it and get back to you bye for now donna

Linda - very interesting. I have just had a quick glance at the website and it does appear that my son could fit several of the symptoms, but i also thought that of aspergers but after a 5 minute consultation that was dismissed. There just has to be some reason for it all, but i feel in our case it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Your son does differ from mine, as in he will on some days just go in - mine was a flat no ( althought he did go back for 6 months no problem after 12 months, and did try again at the start of the last achademic year - unsuccessfully ) I think it is worth mentioning it to your Doctor.

I have never heard of half of these disorders, but then again i had never hear of school refusal !!

Hope everyone is well.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah and Donna,

It is like looking for a needle in a haystack and yes - lots of things seem to have similar symptoms.

I mentioned Pyrrole disorder to my doctor today and she said she had never heard of it and so thought it must be something under 'alternative' health but not mainstream medicine. She added, however, that she was happy to test for his zinc levels as you can do this via a blood test but you can't test the B6. She also thought there was no harm in adding B6 or other B vitamins to the diet via increased food with these or pills as they do help in times of stress. I'll let you know what the test results bring up this way as I'd rather stay within mainstream medicine.

Unfortunately my son is off school again with a virus (high temp and sore throat) and this is often what starts the cycle of SR again. Fingers crossed he goes back after a couple of days.
All the best to everyone,
Linda

Linda

Oh no - i hope it doesn't start him off again, i know what it's like you live on your nerves not knowing.

Think positive !!

Love Sarah xxxx