school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
assessment

hi,finally my son was assessed again on monday,they decided no one had diagnosed him before because he has a bit of afew things.he has traits of as ,adhd,odd.so now thay can stop blaming me for his behaviour and help him!!!!!!theyn have recommended cbt.i never wanted alable just people to recognise he has problems and his brain is wired different!!!i have a meeting on the 22 sept so lets see what happens then,even though he was supposed to have some support over holiday but we have had nothing.hope everyone elses holidays are going well we have 2 weeks left bye for now donna

Re: assessment

Hi Donna,

So glad to hear your son has been assessed. Seems it is hit and miss whether or not they assess kids that don't quite fit the 'norm' of disorder type behaviour!
CBT therapy is the best way to go and I hope your son realises its value as that will also help it sink in for him.
Although having help in the holidays might have been a good thing, on the other hand, your son might not have seen the purpose. They tend to associate the help as a result of problems happening 'now' rather than in the past or future.
Good luck - keep us posted.
Linda

hi linda the help was just to try and get him to go out as he never goes out on his own,just an extra activity only for one hr aweek .unfortunately another professional who has let him down he hasnt seen anyone at camhs for 16 month,but hayho hes happy at home just would be lovely if he had friends!!!!!i childmind so he comes out with me to parks and other activities hope your son is doing well take care donna

Donna - i think the friendship bit is a huge part of our childresn condition, they seem to go from lots of friends to very few which is so sad. My son doesn't really go out much - more than he did but he's not like most other teenagers which is so sad. As i am sitting here he is in the garden with his brother playing with my fathers wheelchair !

I am trying to work from home at the moment, but he doesn't realise that i have to work and not just here to entertain them, real catch 22.

You are doing a great job Donna keep it up.

Lots of love Sar xx

hi sarah and linda hope the holidays going well.i thought it was just my son who had no friends as he has problems keeping friends !!!i booked a long awaited holiday to turkey yesterday so really looking forward to that im sure the school will complain taking him out for two weeks but tough we neeeeeed aholiday hes already worrying about the flight but loves going on holiday together.two weeks of no xbox,psp,ds or computer will be lovely.bye for now donna

Donna, My daughter is exactly the same with regards to friends, She went from being very popular to very reclusive. Even now she only has a couple of friends who have supported her through thick and thin and yet she still doesnt want to go out with them very often - preferring the security of home. It is so so sad. I just hope that she meets some people at college that may make her want a bit of a social life but she finds it hard to trust people. She had a boyfriend until recently and even that got too much with him wanting to spend too much time with her - she couldnt hack it and he had to go! I do think that it is the anxiety that holds them back so much and hopefully with maturity they can find ways to overcome this. But like everything else SR related it has to be on their terms and in their own time.
Enjoy your holiday Donna. You all deserve a break. x

Penny

hi penny its nice to know he is not alone he doesnt want to go out!!!when he does go out its with an adult.he recently missed out on going to newcastle for aweek due to him hating coaches!!!!thankyou ladies for your support bye for now donna

Hi Donna,

Sounds like it is pretty much the same with all our kids and friends. My son has some lovely friends but he hates visiting them or having them over and is too sensitive to whether they like him or not on any given day. As a result it is hard to build strong friendships. I can tell from the school ground as kids call out bye to my son that he is obviously liked - but he doesn't seem to see that or he is just not trusting enough and doesn't somehow believe they really do like him.

As much as i can hope my son doesn't shut out friends - from what I hear from you and Penny others on here - as he enters the teenage years (he's nearly 12 now) he might find it more and more difficult to maintain friendships.
Good luck with your planned trip - and who cares about 2 weeks out of school - our kids have enough time out of school that is negative - it is time they had some time out of school, other than school holidays, that was also positive and where they learn so much about another country and life at the same time. But I know the schools don't understand this.

ALl the best,
Linda x