school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
college

Hi Guys

Just thought I would let you know, college started today but my son didn't make it, don't really know where to go from here, struggling a bit..............

Dorothy x

Re: college

So sorry to hear this.

College is a lot scarier than school - lots of big folk in hoodies! We have similar concerns for next week when we are due to start (new course). Morale seems to have dropped over the past few days.

And where to go?

Your son has had his good moments and achievements. Can he build on those?

Thinking of you,

Simon

Dorothy, I am so sorry to hear your news it must be so hard for you all. I really don't know what advise to offer you as my son thinks Scotland is the answer to all his problems, but stay strong and you know where i am if i can help in any way.

Simon, again i am thinking of you too.

Just nipped out to the shop and the headlines on the local paper was " Mother fined for failing to get her son to attend school"

It appears that our local magistrates have procesuted 2 families whos childrens attendance fell to 50% - one mother said she just couldn't get him to go, he wouldn't leave the house some days - is this a child and family suffering or is he a truant ? The way the story read was they were just bad parents if only they knew there could be a real problem. I would love to write to the paper and explain but i would have to out my name to it and i don't want to draw attention to M !!
My initial reaction were they were families who didn't know where to turn - poor things.

Where is the help for them ??

Sarah xx

sarah

Just nipped out to the shop and the headlines on the local paper was " Mother fined for failing to get her son to attend school"

Sarah xx

Sometimes you can make comments online that are anonymous. If you can find it online, perhaps you could send me the link?

Simon

Sarah - can you give us all the link if on-line and we can all send something?
Love to read the article anyway.

Dorothy - this must be so hard for you. My heart goes out to you - that tight knot you must get in the stomach trying to know what to do.
Does he know anyone else going? Is it possible to introduce him to one of the teachers there? I don't know how things work in the UK but it would seem to me that if even one of the teachers knew they might want to help.

As Simon mentioned - he has built up his confidence - he hopefully will realise this and know that starting college is a big thing for everyone so he should not see it as something he didn't achieve on the first day - but how to get that through to him? It's hard - and I wish you well - thinking of you. Feel free to talk to us at any time - we are here to listen even if we don't always have the answers.

Linda x

I will forward it to you when i get home this evening guys and see what you think ??

Sarah xx