school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our children are not truants !!

Well Mr Cameron you have stated that you will cut benefits for parents who's children refuse to go to school - please make sure these children are actual truants and their parents dont care - compared to our children who are not truants and we are parents that do care !!

Some parents do rely on benefits purely because they can't work with having a SR child - don't punish them they have enough to put up with.

I am very fortunate that my mum helps me out with child minding, otherwise i might not be able to work !!

Article in todays Sun - page 8

Sarah xx

Re: Our children are not truants !!

Not good news. Hope it doesn't become policy for you and you have to go through the hoops again to explain the difference between truancy and SR.

A couple of years ago the government here said they were introducing a policy to remove benefits from our indigenous people if they didn't send their kids to school. Any removal of benefits from those who need them is devastating and does not stop the problem as it in fact does not address the problem. Due to change of government as far as I know, the policy is hanging. It should never, however, be a policy that is 'us and them'. Even in the UK case of truancy - it is better to look at the problem as to why kids are not going to school and help the parents turn this around by more support - not by withdrawing benefits!

I get part benefits because I can't work with an SR child who has only just reached 12. No one with an SR child at any age can work unless they have some support back up at home really.

I do so hope that the policy doesn't come into being. Will there be much opposition to it do you think?
Linda

Well its a tricky one. Yes some children are truants and their parents really don't bother, they need a kick up the bum - but our children are different. I suppose the problem is seperating the two - not sure. It is so difficult for SR parents to work as you just don't know what will happen each morning - will they won't they !! As i said i am so fortunate that my mum is at home, and M doesn't have the tantrums that some children and families suffer and have to cope with ( we used to but past that now ) and as the company i work for is my own i can be so flexible with regards to hours and with the option to work from home ( not ideal but an option )

Lets see what happens with that one.

Sarah xx

There is a programme on the telly here about a Scottish doctor working in Australia, and the problems she is encountering with apparent us and them policies.
It is eye opening stuff. Needless to say, I cannot recall the name of the town, of the doctor or of the programme!