school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
update

Hi guys

Yet again I am amazed at how many good people there are in this world, we went for our meeting at college on friday, and they blew me away, they want my son to do a part time computer course, he can do it all on line at home but they want him to come into college to do it, there is a tutor who deals with the course who will be around if my son needs any help, they said he can come in anytime that he is able, if he can't come in on a particular day then not to worry about it, he has just to email the tutor, they hope that by being flexible with him, that he will spend time in college and become comfortable with it, if he achieves this then they hope by January they will be able to introduce another few modules, he has to go in and sit his assessments in college but they said they will work round him and support him as much as they can. We then had to go and meet the career's officer, he helped my son with his interview for college and he wanted to see what else he could do to help, during our meeting he started asking my son about the problems he was having, then he started talking about his daughter, he said she was doing an open university course, turns out she takes panic attacks, her problems started in 4th year at school and has progressed since then. I got the feeling that he was going the extra mile for my son, it's so nice to meet some one who understands instead of the brick wall that we are up against at times.

My thoughts are with you all just now, I know the school term starts soon down south.

Simon, I hope your daughter has managed to secure a place at university.

Take care
Dorothy x

Re: update

Dorothy - there are alot of lovely understanding people out there and i am so pleased you have found them.

Sar xx

Hi Dorothy,

That is so lovely for you to find those people just when you needed them. That must be very comforting for your son and a relief for yourself. If only every educational institution was that flexible:- )
All the best,
Linda

Really pleased to hear your news, Dorothy.

My daughter finally heard today - and starts tomorrow, at 8:45. Now, that will be a challenge! We have rarely seen her before noon recently!

Simon

Good luck Simon - I do hope she makes it. Probably most teenagers have not been rising early :-)

My son came home depressed yesterday - said his friends ran of somewhere- he didn't know who to hang out with - hates school - no point going - hates everything - was really angry all evening, refusing to go to bed. I was so worn out by the end. With bed so late I also wouldn't let him get up at 4am to watch Man Untd play live on TV!
Oh well. I feel that sinking feeling in my stomach - well more like a lead weight in my stomach wondering what today will bring. It does take its toll on our health too.
I wish you and your daughter well - and hope she feels able to face it.
All the best,
Linda