school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Regarding Medication & Anxiety

I forgot to mention on of the most important things that I wanted to share...
My daughter started Zoloft last year during all her anxiety attacks and mental meltdowns with getting her into school. 12years old then.

Zoloft helps depression and anxiety..both...from what I understand with kids is that its the chemical changes within their brains that cause these types of meltdowns. Hormones..simply put. The zoloft balances these chemicals and puts them in their place.

Now that she has been steadily improving and at her peak "normal" range, they will keep her on this for approximately another month or so and then start weening her off. If they see her having a relapse, then they will simply change it up. Her Psyc. doctor says that once they have stabilized and see what true happiness is...and they level off to the normal range...they start dropping dosage until they are complete off and they have seen remarkable statistics. Usually kids that do not have ADHD can come off this medicine. ADHD they have to be on small dose for a longer period of time before weening.
I don't know if this helps anybody out there...but I sure know it saved my daughters life. You all know what I went through. If you need to refresh, just look back at my posts.
Shes nearly complete now. YAY!
Good Luck to all...and please do not be afraid to try meds. Nothing is forever but you might see vast improvements. I did.

Thanx,
Bonnie

Re: Regarding Medication & Anxiety

hi Bonnie,

Good to hear your experience with medication. How does your daughter feel about tapering off now? It certainly sounds like it was of great benefit to your daughter.

I was prepared to go down the road of medication but when at the time we met with the Psychiatrist my son had started going to school again by himself. He cannot explain this and as you know we have had some hiccups this week, but basically it has been a great term. So the psychiatrist says she does not want to medicate but we can certainly keep it as an option further down the track if things slip back to how bad they were earlier this year or past years. I think the biggest step for me was feeling ok about medication - and as I do now- and hearing other stories - then if the need arises, we will feel more prepared.
Good luck with your daughter - sounds like she has come a long way. Well done to both of you.
All the best,
Linda

Hi Linda,

At first, my daughter was a little hesitant about tapering off the medicine, but after speaking with all her different doctors, they all seem to be edging her forward with tapering. They say that she has the tools to deal with anxiety, and that even as an adult their will be situations that anxiety will pop up. Now she is very much so looking forward to the weening process which will not start for another two months. Technically, they like to see the child on their normal levels for a complete six months before the weening. Just another step forward. We'll see how it goes, and I'll let everyone know if it works...(fingers crossed)...she is still doing great and homeschooling is remarkable for her.
Hope this helps...
Bonnie

Hi Bonnie - so pleased for you both. My son has halved his meds and to be quite honest i can't see any difference.

Our home schooling is good too !!

Keep us all informed of how it goes.

Love Sarah xx

Hi Bonnie,

That sounds really hopeful in regard to tapering off, especially if you daughter feels ready too. And so glad the homeschooling is working for you - and for you Sarah. Good luck -
Linda