school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
College for 15 year olds

My dd (school refuser since Xmas 2007) has expressed an interest in going to college - she has always had a very keen interest in computers so we went to look at a class of 15+ year olds on this course. Unfortunately much to the embarrassment of the lady showing us around we walked into a most appalling case of bullying and my dd was asked to comfort the girl being bullied whilst we all had to listen to the teacher shouting at the boys in the class and hearing what they had done to the girl. As you can guess this wasn't what my dd needed and resulted in her crying, screaming and then fighting for breath as she had a panic attack.
After complaining to the person in charge of the courses she came up with a very good solution - a "small animal care" course that was held in a large old house miles away from the college, with only 10 others - perfect. She arranged for the tutor to meet us before any courses started so it was empty just the 3 of us, all was great, dd loved all the animals and the tutor was very good with her. letting her hold the rats, snakes and lizards - she whispered to me she loved it and felt she could cope. Then the tutor opened the last door - it was the classroom and that did it - dd just started to cry and said she wanted to go home (I think she was angry with herself as she couldnt cope with this last hurdle). Back to the drawingboard!!

Re: College for 15 year olds

Oh Maureen - when i first started to read your post i though how wonderful my son would love that, but as i read on i can understand the anxieties that came over your daughter what a shame.

With regards to the older children - who have left school have any of you had any dealing with remploy ? It basically employ people with disabilities not just physical and they are very understanding. I had a meeting with them last week ( nothing to do with my son ) on a professional level and they are excellent and very understanding. Some of the jobs they carry out are very basic factory work, but it's start - food for thought.

Keep your chin up Maureen, it will work out.

Sarah xx

Re: College for 15 year olds

Sorry to hear how things didn't work out, Maureen. It is such a big step for your daughter to meet others on that classroom level. I can't recall if she is having help or not - but perhaps the steps need to be even smaller at a time? I do hope you can find a way forward on this one and find something else that she can start to cope with in small amounts. We are hear to help in any way we can.
Linda