school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do i tell the school ?

Well slightly different one this. Son no2 absolutley loves school since he went back 3 weeks ago, what a difference. He wasn;t ever a refuser but there were times when i had to push him as he could see his brother at home and it must have been difficult.
Anyway when he came home on Friday afternoon he had a face like thunder but wouldn't say what the matter was - very unusal. Like all mums do we worry and I kept going on at him to tell me what the problem was. SR son told me to leave it alone and he would tell me in his own time. Sure enough he did. Apparently he was "set about on " on the way home from school by 5 older pupils ( my son is 12 ) nothing major but totally humiliated him in front of a group of girls from his class by tripping him up and rolling him down a back ( he was very muddly and school work worse for wear ) His friends mother called me to ask if he was Ok has her son had witnessed the incident but was too frightened to get involved. My son doesn't want me to say anything to school as these boys will be called to the head and he fears it will make things worse. My neighbours boys - in their 20's are meeting him from school tonight to make sure he is ok, but the incident happened on the school grounds so they aren't allowed to go onto them. I wanted to call school just to make them aware but my son is adement i shouldn't. He has gone to school fine, but i think if i had made a fuss he wouldn't have gone. Why should these bullies get away with it ?

This is how it started with my SR son !!

Sarah xx

Re: Do i tell the school ?

hi sarah this is a really hard one,if you go to school it probably will get worse!!!!i really feel for you it took my son a couple of yrs to tell me he was being bullied by four boys,i went to the school and it got worse!i had to send him to a new school.im sorry if i had the answer to bullying my son would probably be in school!!!but i think your son is probably right to not give in to them as then he makes himself a victim.sorry hope someone else will come along and give you some good advice take care

Hi Sarah,

That is a hard one! I am so sorry to hear this. Why do kids have to go through this!? I can see the fear of the your son if you tell the school. I think he might just have to deal with this as best he can and by going to school next day showed them that he was not bothered by it. Sorry I don't have the advice as I haven't had the bullying experience. Hoping someone else on here might have some idea. If it is just one boy doing the bullying, then it is easier to report it. When it is a group...I can understand your son not wanting you to report it. Sounds so wrong though, doesn't it. I hope it works out ok and he manages to pull through. What does your SR son think?
Linda

Thanks for the replies. M said to leave it and try and stand up to them himself, but make sure he's not on his own. I did call the school yesterday and called me back this morning. Head of year who is just the most caring teacher ever listened to my concerns and promised not to act on it this time as requested by my son but he would if it happened again. He is also going to walk over the school fields every night this week to make sure he is ok but he won't walk with him so he doesn't get attention drawn to him and infact my son won't even know it's for him. What a nice chap.

Lets hope it was a one off !!

Sarah x

hi sarah so glad they are taking you seriously we need more nice headteachers to support our children.souns like a good plan

True to their word - 2 senior teachers there - fair play to them and so grateful.

Little man seems fine so hopefully it won't happen again xx