school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
all change here

my DD was visited at home on friday by a psychiatrist and a psychologist and they are refering her to the CAMHS tier 4 intensive treatment service and will also be looking into medication

our socail worker has been taken off our case at my request - SS are considering whether to continue having a role as its now mental health (maybe money saving for SS???????)

I am feeling relieved, scared (that nothing happens), tearful (that it really is that bad), validated (all the people who blamed me and said it was parenting), very sad that she does have mental health problems

and the list could go on

she feels much the same I think

if the work they do helps her get out and about and back to school it will be wonderful

when they asked what she really wanted, she said to go back to her school (tiny with 20 pupils)

fingers crossed, I really haedly dare believe we may get some help very soon

Re: all change here

Thank you for sharing this update, Jezebel.
You seem to have been able to get the different agencies to work together, which was our big issue (well, one of them!)
Do you think Social Services should be asked to keep the case open on their books in case you need to go back to them? or is it better to clear the sheet there?
Simon

I am sure you are feeling a rollercoaster of emotions, and not sure what to think. Firstly it is not your parenting that has caused this, it is just the way our children are. Mental Health is nothing to feel ashamed about as 1 in 4 people in the UK have suffered at one time or another and it is not necessarily long term. With regards to meds, my son has been on them for 3.5 years, and only this last week have to started to reduce the dose and so far he is fine. He has gone from 80mg per day and is now on 30mg and after tomorrow will be on 20 !! Please stay strong you are doing an absolutley fab job and i admire all you parents who are going throught this but you will come out the other side.

Love to all Sarah xx

Hi Jezabel,

I can imagine how you feel - its pretty hard hitting when you get a diagnosis like that but....as Sarah says - it is just the way our kids are and in fact because we label something these days does not mean our kids are off their heads! I went through what you are going through at some point and felt I slipped into a pretty dark place just thinking about it and wishing it were different. Now I see my son for what and where he is and really - he is quite normal....as are all our kids. It's just the anxiety bit that somehow got over represented in their brain! My son saw a psychiatrist this year and she was great - and was very firm about accepting this as just something that my son will need to work with on and off throughout his life but that he has so many other qualities that will help him along the way. We tend to forget that as we just focus on the anxiety. Take some moments out for yourself if you can - and hopefully you will feel better about it all and so will your daughter. Remember - you are not alone.
Linda x

Jez - how are you all ?

Sar xx