school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Daybreak

Well i have sat and read and re-read many of the posts on here, and not quite sure if i am upset or angry so it's time to try and make a difference.

I have just written a lengthy e-mail to Dr Hilary Jones on Daybreak and asked if he would do a feature on school phobia/ refusal.

The chances are i doubt it, but i have to try

Wish me luck

Sarah xx

Re: Daybreak

Good on you, Sarah....I certainly do wish you luck. The more understanding of this the better. Lets hope that families in the future can be helped by the action you or we can make. Is there anything we can contribute?
Linda x

Hi Linda

Not really sure yet. I basically outlined how this condition is tearing families apart as not everyone is getting the help and support they need. I also went on to say that the professionals weren't trained and very often didn't understand the condition, so many of our children at one time and another have been labelled as truants. I know for a fact that Dr Hilary is aware of the condition as it has been mentioned in passing regarding children in the past, but to my knowledge have never had a discussion on the subject on it's own.

Well worth a try

Hope you are both ok.

Lots of love Sarah xx

Hi Sarah

I think its a wonderful thing you are doing, as you know from my previous post, Im very new to this and have already been coming up against proffessionals who have little understanding of this, have had no information from school about it as they said they didn't have any... So wishing you much luck with the email - lets hope they listen.

Thank goodness I found this site!!

Lisa
xx

Lisa, I think you will find that no schools seem to have any information because they don't understand. I will do my best to get some sort of attention with regards to SR. I am very fortunate in that I have now sorted my son out but took over 3 years to get anywhere so you may have a long road to travel, but you will get there. I never thought in a million years i would be going through all this, and at one time I was quite ashamed by my sons SR, now I am so proud of what he has achieved. He will never go back to school now ( in his last year ) but he is mentally in a better place and his confidence is getting better each week. Your daughter needs every ounce of your support, this will be hard at times - I think all parents will agree it's a testing time. Hey if she misses school she can always catch up, her health is far more important and she needs you more than ever.

Take care of yourself, and if you would like to have a chat I am more that happy to e-mail you my number. Im no expert but I will do anything to help anyone on here as those in the past have helped me.

Lots of Love

Sarah xx

Well at least my e mail has been read. I had a reply this morning that my story will go to the producer who looks after Dr Hilarys slots and if they are able to feature SR they will be in touch again.

What was nice was the e mail was personal and mentioned SR so not just a standard reply.

Fingers crossed - I am woman with a mission !!

Sarah xx

Go Sarah! lets hope they take note and act on it...

Keeping my fingers crossed to!!
Lisa
x