school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
one day at a time

i came across your forum through another site. My son is 15.He moved to a different school last year after 2 years of persistent bullying in the 1st school. He settled in fine and then boys from the 1st school started "cyber -bullying" him. Throughout all three years he was badly troubled with irritable bowel syndrome. From Christmas 2010 things went downhill with attempts of half days not even manageable for him.The panic attacks each morning have been horrendous. Camhs have been involved in his case since May and I and my son have found them very helpful.He has been started on medication which seems to be lifting his mood slowly.I know he has a long way to go and his education will have suffered but just taking one day at a time. Trying to read up what I can on SR so that I can stand up for my son the best way I can. Thank you for being here.
Lindy x

Re: one day at a time

Hi Lindy

Sorry to hear about your son, bullying is awful. Have you contacted the police to report these children ? Im not surprised the poor boy is having panic attacks, what medication is he on ? I have always found CAMHS good what do they and the school say about his SR ? hope they are all understanding for you.

There is so much info in the net i have folders full, but one piece i mentioned to Lisa yesterday was to google West Sussex County Council Emotional Based School Refusal - very interesting read.

Stay strong and keep posting you will find it helps.

Take care

Sarah xx

Welcome Lindy. I am so sorry to hear how things are at your end. Its a tough time for you and your son. I hope that the medication can give him the confidence to try and move forward, small steps at a time.
Is he also having Cognitive Behaviour Therapy? This coupled with the medication might give him the skills to feel more able to manage.
Others on here have posted lots of information in regard to how education can be gained outside the 'normal school system - so hoping something turns up soon that you can work with. Keep posting about how things are going and hope you can keep up your strength - it isn't easy.
Take care,
Linda

Sarah and Linda ......thanks for listening. My son is on fluoxetine and melatonin from the start of June. It is hard to watch your sociable outgoing son change in front of your eyes and feel so powerless to help him.I have just read the book "can't go,won't go" by fortune-wood and it has been helpful and today I got a chance to start on the West Sussex info. Education wise I feel as if my son is in limbo land (if you can understand me!) I phone them (school) daily to say whether he'll be in or not and have asked them to provide me with work to do with him at home. I try each morning to encourage him to go to school .I have said I'll keep asking him as the one day I don't might be the very day he might have gone in. Just always looking for the wee positives each day of which this forum is definitely one
Lindy x