school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wikipedia

Have a look at the definition of school refusal on wikipedia - sums it all !

Sx

Re: Wikipedia

That is a good entry, isn't it Sarah. I must admit it is very balanced. So often I read something on a medical site and it sounds good until it gets to the point of 'children must attend school' or 'parents often reinforce behaviour' etc and then I just tune out.

I notice the reference to the Sleep pattern disorder. I wonder how easy it is to tell the difference though . The anxiety seems to keep my son awake at night anyway these days. He also is very defiant about going to bed (last couple of years). I find it impossible to get him to go some nights and that is even in school holidays. In the back of my mind, already having read up on circadian rhythms, I keep wondering if he could only fine tune his sleeping time clock, he might face the mornings better. I am sure he would - but the school refusal doesn't just hit in the mornings - there are the nights before (Sundays etc) where they get highly emotional about the prospect of Monday morning. He has also said he wants to not go to sleep so that he doesn't have to wake up and face the anxiety next morning. Perhaps the two disorders go hand in hand. We were just told that the sleep issue is common with anxiety. What about your son- has he had issues with going to sleep at night in the past? Was it your son taking melatonin?
Linda
PS When you wrote about that poor boy with the tumour....how dreadful - I can't imagine what the parents must be going through right now.

Hi Sarah and Linda,

Wiikipedia certainly summed it up didnt it! Maybe we should send a copy to the 'professionals'.
As far as the sleep pattern is concerned, I must admit she has NEVER slept very well. She had colic when a baby and hardly slept and this has continued all her life. Any stress causes tummy pains and she simply doesnt seem to need much sleep. Quite often I am asleep before she has even thought about going to bed.
Another thing is that if she does sleep, it will only ever be in her bed and at nightime. No matter how tired she is, she wouldnt dream of snuggling down on the sofa in the afternoon to have 40 winks.
Sorry I'm waffling on again, just thinking out aloud again.
Smiles.
Sue and M x

Have just had a look at this - and printed copies to give out to whoever I feel in not understanding!

The bit about sleep in interesting as my daughter has for quite a few years found it really difficiult to fall asleep, no matter how tired she is etc....

Lisa
x