school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In at the deep end

Took my son to his film course yesterday and was greeted by the teacher saying that they may be having a few extra pupils on the course so my son's one to one might be in a group. My initial reaction was to panic, but no after thinking about it i think it is time he tried a new situation. I will support him all the way but i think it's time we cut the apron strings just a little.
Right or wrong ?

Sar xx

Re: In at the deep end

Hi Sarah, how did your son react ? Is he talking about ? Maybe because of his real interest in the course the pull factors for doing the course might override the pressure factors of it no longer being one-to- one . Hope all goes well.
Lindy x

To be perfectly honest he hasn't really mentioned it, so maybe i was justs expecting a problem when there isn't one !!

It looks like he will just go again on Friday as normal - good for him if he does. I did go and have a word with the "head" and explained the agreement was only one 2 one or 2 at the most and he agreed my son was a special case - he did ask if i was the mother that had written to 10 Downing Street !!

Looking good at the moment but we all know that can change.

Love to all

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

Wow - that is something to be proud of 'The mum who has written to 10 Downing Street!"
I do hope it all works out for your son. It's hard when a spanner is thrown in the works as we know our kids need certain situations in order for things to work. But your son might cope ok - so do let us know.
ALl the best,
Linda

Linda - you know something he hasn't even mentioned it- i really don't think it has registered with him so hopefully it will be fine on Friday.

Oh yes I wrote to the PM - not that helpful really but our local MP is an angel.

Hope you're OK

Love Sar xx

Hope it works out fine. But....if it doesn't - it's not the end of the world for him or you. To get this far is a wonderful achievement - well done to you both.
Hope the rest of your family is ok?
We are doing fine at the moment but I still always sit on edge...just never knowing. But life is so different when they actually do get up and go! I just know that next year will be a real challenge but hopefully seeing we have been dealing with this now for all these years, I can get the help in place straight away and he can recognise it for the anxiety and not all those other negatives that flood in when he gets overwhelmed. I just hope the school understands. I have been told they have other SR kids but have not been to speak to them yet- will do so this week.
Take care,
Linda xx

Hi Sarah, just wondering how today went for your son on his course. He has been in my thoughts today. Take care ,Lindy x

Thanks Lindy. In the end all ok. I knew something wasn't right when he used delaying tactics at home whilst getting ready and then very snappy in the car. When we go there he said he couldn't do it - we sast and chatted for a few minutes to no avail, so i went in to tell them the situation. The tutor came out and had a word ( great chap ) and off they went. It all turned out well, he worked with another pupil from his old school and all happy. He did say he was pleased that he had done it, and think we should be ok now - hopefully.

How's things with you ? hope all ok

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah, it seems that just the chance to be listened to by the tutor and that extra reassurance helped. Well done to your son for achieving another day
Lindy x

Sarah - that is great! There must have been moments where your heart started to sink - but what a wonderful tutor - wish there were more people like them.
Hope your son continues to find his strength.
Take care,
Linda x