school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
school are now refusing DS

4 weeks and 2 days into DS refusing school.
today the head (who is also my boss) has unofficially told me they dont want him back. todAY also the EWO referral is being submitted.
she advised we hold them of by saying we have a TAC meeting in Nov (which we have,though no date yet) and are looking for another school.

cant tell you how surprised i was lol. DS is over the moon.

Re: school are now refusing DS

That seems incredibly quick to say they don't want your son back! Is that written in their rules? Is it the law? Not sure how you deal with that if he is your boss as well! Tricky situation.
Good luck in holding them off. I think it just gets to a point when SR kids have been away for so long that going back becomes even more of an issue because of having missed so much and also what the other kids might think. Difficult situation but hope your EWO continues to support you.
Let us know how the situation evolves.
best wishes,
Linda

not sure what to say only good luck with everything

Hi Flash - Well like Jennifer not sure what to say on that one, but as DS is over the moon do you think that a move to a new school might just be the answer ? On what grounds have the school said they don't want him back ?

Let me know and good luck

Sarah xx

they saying it wont be in his best interest because of how the other kids will react to his return.

TAC meeting is now not happening till dec 6 because the LEA are too busy. so even though DS has agreed to look at other schools we cant do anything till after the TAC so i reckon we will be looking at a return not before january. that is assuming DS will agree to step foot in school at the moment he has only agreed to look.

he has set a criteria for accepting a school so at least we know he is serious though i have my doubts that he will tolerate any school unless someone for example camhs, does some work with him to figure out exactly what his issues are.

got a feeling going to end up HE.

Hi Flash,

The school saying it is not in your son's interest to go back re what other kids might say etc..... I have never heard of a school actually' caring' so much that they would even mention that! Sounds like they want their reputation of full school attendance kept. I do hope you can work with CAMHs and find a new school. But as for finding what the issue is .....always elusive I am afraid. There is nothing specific that any SR kid seems able to pin point. Just anxiety.
Let us know how things go - always someone on here to listen and help if possible.
Linda

i think they care more for their finances as LEA are refusing to assess but EP has given school a very long list of accomadations that need putting in place to help him.

i would love to see him back at school because despite having aspergers he is actually very social and is very bright.
we always knew we would get to SR but were not expecting it to happen this side of yr7.

thanks for all your wounderful support.x

Hi Flash - what rubbish - when my son eventually returned to school his biggest fear was what people would say - and hey guess what abosolutley nothing it was if he hadn't had 12 months off and that was yr 8. The problem with HE is that if you dersgister then it is all on your shoulders and you won't get any support such as a tutor etc so look into it all before you take that step.

Good luck with it all - as my SR son's junior school head once said to me after my son started refusing at senior school if thats the worst that happens to him in life then he has done well, and come to think of it it;s true, but so hard to handle at the time.

Take care Sar xx