school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feeling frustrated

Feeling rather frustrated at the moment. My son only went in one day last week (understandably with my uncle passing away things were topsy turvy) but then he refused yesterday saying he had a really sore shoulder.
Took him to the doctor and seems he has pulled a muscle. I am sure without SR he would have gone to school - but for him this was a perfect reason to not go. Then I found out he had to give a presentation to the class in sign language (they learn this at the school) last week and he was terrified as he hates that kind of thing and does not know enough from missing school.

So I went to talk to the teachers. "But it is part of the assessment' came the reply. They might just get him to do it one on one - but the reluctance was annoying. Why with SR are we always made to feel that our kids are just 'trying to get out of something.'
Then the secondary school want him to go and do a test this week that he missed last week. Why all this assessment and testing?! Why can't our kids when young just be let go to learn. And for SR it just means we got through extra times of them not being able to attend.

It seems from hearing others on the forum too that there is such a reluctance to adapt to kids who don't fit the norm. Unless you have perhaps a much larger label attached to your head saying you need disability support - but even then - they are pushed into doing all mainstream things! No flexibility means all kids are being moulded into one and not all kids fit!!
SOrry - just venting my frustration and have that heavy feeling in the stomach as I wonder if I wil get my son to school today.
Hope everyone else has a good day - when it arrives for you guys tomorrow!
Linda

Re: Feeling frustrated

He went to school. What a relief!
He said he felt a bit nervous but even if he did have to give the talk - he thought he'd probably manage. It is like they have to really psych themselves up for things, isn't it. FOr a whole week he felt he could not do this talk - and yet in the end - when the pressure was off (ie you might not or you might do one on one) he found the strength to feel he might tackle it. Just shows how school is not set up right for most kids. We should be building on their individual strengths - not forcing all kids to do the same thing. When I was a teacher I was able to adapt and change depending on the child. Any child that had a fear of speaking would first talk just to me - then to a couple of friends and then....only if they felt they could...to the class. Because.....surely in real life - we are not all able to speak in front of a group? And doesn't that confidence come with other confidence.

Sorry - raving on to myself here! I don't know whether teaching is different these days or whether it is the same old story as I found a lot of inflexible teachers out there when i was teaching. The whole idea - ' 'if you allow an exception or alternative for one child - they will all want one ' does not sit well with me! But it is unfortunately a common attitude both inside and outside school and even amongst adults.
Good luck to you all tomorrow and those having trouble gettng your kids to sleep tonight - my heart goes out to you.
Linda

hi linda
sorry you are having a bad time and your son. i know what you mean not all kids are the same and different problems need sorting in different ways. after having a bad time with j last week i found that when the school backed off and didnt push for to much j was much better does it matter that your son didnt give a presentation, it seems they just dont understand that all kids are different, i couldnt think of anything worse that having to stand up in front of people talking or giving a presentation i thought things were going to be bad this week after yesterday but j has managed school today, yesterday was her birthday that day last year was the last time she spoke to her gran before she died on the 22nd, her other gran hasnt been to well and yesterday she was rushed to hospital in the night so wasnt around in the morning ( they live next door so we see them all the time) of course that made j very anxious and upset so she didnt go to school nor did her brother as he was very upset like us all. her gran is still ill but has to have lots of tests etc so its going to be a difficult time but j has done really well today and managed to go to school but i am going to take one day at a time and see how it goes and not worry if she has to have a few days from school to be able to cope.
im glad your son managed school and presentation today i hope they praised him for this.
best wishes to you both
jennifer x x
sorry if i have gone on a bit to much today

Hi Jennifer

Sorry to hear About grandmother taking ill. Always a worrying time. My son went in today but at 11am I got a call from the school 'Could you come and pick him up?' He was in pain. The muscle that he strained in his shoulder was hurting!
So after all that effort -he was home again and I am not quite convinced his muscle was that bad! Oh well
Linda

hi linda
at least he tried hope tomorrow goes better dont beat yourself up about it, its not worth it, tomorrows another day
jennifer x x