school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new to site

Hi
First time posting
I have finally read all the posts on this excellent site.
Have a daughter 17 with SR. We live in Southern Ireland so things a bit different here.
She hasn't been in formal school in two years, and the day I accepted that she may never go back was the day I began to breath more easily.
Not going to school is not the end of the world. Education can be received anywhere.
One thing I notice is that all these kids are strong and smart. At the end of the day I think it's what gets them through these tough times.
My daughter mentions wanting to go to school in Sept 2012 to do her Leaving Cert, she'll need this to get a chance at a college, but I don't know if she will. Can't beat ourselves up about it at the moment.
I spend time trying to build up her confidence, baking, knitting, sports etc. Small accomplishments. She was badly bullied by so-called best friends at 14 and it nearly destroyed her.
She'd like to take French lessons in the New Year so I will look into that.
When I realised she wasn't going to go to school, I found this site. It helped a lot. I really thought I was the only person out there with this issue.
Family etc don't understand. You'd made to feel a total failure.
I will keep reading and may post if I can be of any use.

m

Re: new to site

Hi Marti - good to hear form you. You say the day you accept she will never go back to school you will breathe more easily, and I can accept exactly what you are saying, i did the same. It took me a long time to realise that my son will never go back to school, and what a weight off my shoulders. Don't get me wrong he has missed out on so much but that fact was i was never going to get him there so i didn't have any choice in the matter. All our children really would like to go back to school but they just can't, and I too thought i was the only one with a SR - how wrong i was. I am so glad you have posted and found our little gang helpful. No one understands unless you have been through it, but we do !!

Keep smiling and please keep posting - Sar xx

Hi Marti,

Nice to hear from you and how much a relief it was when you stopped trying to send your daughter to school. Does she have any home tutoring through the school. The ideas you mentioned for building up her confidence sound good. Glad you found us and I am sure you can offer some help to others going through the painful times. Hope we hear from you again. All the best to you and your daughter,
Linda

Hi Marti

welcome to our site, I think acceptance is the key, like Sarah, it took a long time but things did start to get better for us when I finally accepted that my son would never go back to school.Please keep posting.

Take care
Dorothy x

Hi Dorothy - how's things with you ?
Sarah xx

Hi Marti,
I'm from Northern Ireland and I know the education system is different here but if there is any info I can help you with just give me a shout.The children's law centre in Belfast has been of help in the past to me.
Take care,
Lindy x

Hi Sarah

Things going fine at the moment, still not managing college and doesn't even like talking about it, the other thing I mentioned to you is still on the go, hopefully will have news about that next week.
Hope things going ok with you.

Take care
Dorothy x

Dorothy - good luck with next week. We are ok, but M has to go into school next week for an exam - ooooooohhhhh but they have been lovely to be fair and said that he can do it before or after school ( only 15 min English Oral ) and not to wear uniform so they are doing their best. Not too sure if he will make it at the moment but lets wait and see.

Take care Sarah xx

Sarah

R never had any problems going in for exam's, don't know why but he was always comfortable with it, hope things go god for M.

Take care
Dorothy x