school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It isn't school phobia

We have been told that my son doesn't have school phobia as he was originally diagnised with, but general anxiety disorder - but this was bought on by him going to senior school. He used to be popular, and a bit of a clown really, never in trouble and his school reports were an absolute delight to read so where has it all come from ? He is so frightened the world will end in 2012 as there have been lots of rumours - he has said that if we all survive to see the begining if 2013 then all his problems will be over, but this is a child that is frightened of the slightest little noise outside, and on bonfire night he was convinced it was shooting he could hear and not bangers. Last night i had slight indegestion and needed a rennie, he was so frightened i was going to have a heart attack. The list goes on and on. He is on a reducing his meds programme at the moment, and he is doing quite well so there is one thing to be grateful for. I can't imagine how anyone can have such worries about everything, is the chicken cooked, is the milk off, is his brother ok, it is so heartbreaking it really is. We did manage to go and do some shopping last night - only Matalan for a picture frame for his grandad, and as i stood chatting to the lady on the till he was getting so aggitated and needed to get out.

I do sometimes feel that i am looking after a toddler and not a 15 year old boy.

Hey sorry just sitting at work reflecting really, and as Simon said reading all the new parents threads brings it all back home. At least we are fortunate that my son no longer needs to worry about having to go back to school as home ed will continue until his exams next Spring and my heart goes out to all of you who are struggling, we are but now not with school.

Sarah xx

Re: It isn't school phobia

Hi Sarah,
when you said about your son getting agitated I could just see my son .It's not often he'll venture out at the moment but when he does I know when he starts to get like that it's time to go home.
Toddler or teenager, we love them just the same!
Take care,
Lindy x

hi everyone
i know what you mean about them getting agitated if we go shopping i always go early so that we beat the crowds as j doesnt like lots of people or the noise and gets very upset i dont think we will manage to go now much before christmas it drives me mad then as well. i also try going to a store that is open 24hrs as if you go late there are not so many people so it is much easier for the j she doesnt sleep very well so she may as well be a bit late going to bed. anyway some good yesterday went to camhs j finally managed to talk a little after her friend who also suffers, her auntie and cousin, myself and her perlatis teacher said it would maybe help. we go to perlatis every week this does seem to help a little. camhs seeing her once more before christmas and going to a meeting in school which i will also attend then after christmas she is going to see j every week, lets hope j is able to manage to talk and get a bit of understanding how she can manage sr.
best wishes
jennifer xx
ps sorry if anything is spelt wrong it is not my strong point.

Sarah, always remember you are never on your own.

Take care
Dorothy x

And that is what helps me and keeps me going Dorothy

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

I think if you looked at all our kids they would have other anxiety issues. It is, however, School Phobia or School Refusal that stands out as it is every day. I can relate to your son and what he feels anxious about. My son is also anxious about a lot of things. He also gets agitated in shopping centres or if we are in a shop and he sees a kid he knows (but not a friend). Sometimes we have driven many many miles at his request to visit the city, taken time to park the car and then suddenly he can't face the crowds. I just calmly try to entice him out or get back in the car and drive home.
He feels better when he is with more than just me - I think the safety in numbers helps somehow.
My son was originally diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The psychiatrist says they are all connected and my son also has separation anxiety from his comfort zone. Makes for a tricky life style which I hope they can move threw and gain more confidence step by step with us helping them along.
Someone on here also mentioned their daughter following them around (was it you, Rachel?). My son also sometimes does that - it is part of the anxiety. I used to get annoyed that I felt I had no space.
Anyway - good luck Sarah with the exam coming up or should I say 'good luck to your son' he can only try his best. Sounds like the school are being supportive.
We are managing a few more days going in this week but I have had two phone calls from the school in the past two weeks 'can you come and get him' as he had injured himself. My heart sinks on those occasions and you wonder if it isn't all part of SR. But I Think it was a coincidence.
Linda