school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Links

Found some links to stuff people might find interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-
http://www.fitz-claridge.com/node/20
Also can anyone tell me what CBT is and does it work???

Re: Links

Thanks for the links, Amy.

CBT is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. It does seem to work well with anxiety. This is normally done with the help of a psychologist or counsellor. It involves changing negative thought patterns and strategies to help those with anxiety and be able to break through the barriers of fear.
Linda

Amy

I was very unsure about CBT until Linda recommended it, and it has made a huge difference to my son. A psychiatric nurse comes to the house he works for anxiety action and sits and talks to my son about his concerns and basically puts them into perspective - makes him realise that nothing is as bad as it seems. I sat in for the first couple of sessions and did think what is he on about - they were just laughing, but as the weeks went on wow what a difference. My son will never go back to school but generally he is so much better.

Hope this helps

Sarah x

hi sarah
when you say your son will never go back to school do you home tutor him. i am thinking about doing this for my daughter after a few very hard weeks, but am not sure, she hasnt been in school all this week.
thanks
jennifer

Hi Jennifer. Yes he is home educated 5 hours per week in 2 sessions and is set work to do inbetween. This has been set up by the LEA as i really don't think they knew what else to do with him. He did start and go to the Pupil Referal Unit but just couldn't handle being with other students - many whom had been expelled. My son is still on the school roll so they fund his tutor ( who is an ex teacher from the school )

It has not been easy to organise, but at the end of the day they have a duty to provide some form of education and I have had to fight for it, and our EWO was very good.

If in doubt go and see your local MP, ours was very good and supported us in getting the education he needs.

It's not ideal, M was in line for taking 9 GCSE's but will only do 4 now ( he did his Engllish a year early - at home ) but it's the best of a bad situation. He needs to get 4 grade C and above to be accepted on his apprentership in September at the level he wants to start at, but if he doesn't get the grades he can take a step down and do his key skills for 6 months and then move up. My concern was that on his apprentership he will need to go into college one day per week - this is in a full class and he just wouldn't be able to cope ( not at the moment anyway ) but the college have been excellent and have said that it can all be done in the work place.

If i can help in anyway please let me know.

Love Sarah xx