school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
home tutored school refusers

In the UK once a child (person under 16) has missed 5 consecutive weeks of school they are entitled to home tuition of 6 hrs per week by a quailfied teacher, paid for by by the local education authority. (The number of weeks and hours of entitlement may vary by area). I work as a home tutor.

I have had mixed results with school refusers I have worked with, some accepting tution, some not. None have returned to their former schools but some have successfully started at new schools. I think that a key factor here was the SR having faith in the academic provsion offered by the new schools. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I need to protect the privacy of the young people I have worked with.

Re: home tutored school refusers

Hi this is interesting. My child has been suffering and missed school over 4 months of school term time but the school and LEA said they can not give home tuition unless a Dr signs to say she is physically unable to get to school or a psychiatric Dr diagnoses agrophobia or similar. Can you tell where this requirement is stated is it a legal requirement for local authorities and if so what act?

Col, i'm sorry you are going through the same thing - how are you doing and what help are you receiving ? I too would be very interested in knowing where we can find this information in order to help others - we are now sorted but it took a very long time to get there.

Keep in touch

Sarah x

Hi all,
How long has anybody else had to wait for either home tuition or one to one placements? My son's last days in school (bar the first day of term this year) were in February. Just feel frustrated with waiting lists especially since Gcse course work is ongoing . Like Sarah's son , my son was due to take 9 gcses but who knows now 'cos I certainly don't

Hi Lindy - the first time it was about 4 months but the second time i bet we were looking at 4-5 months easily.

Hope you are well

Sarah xx

Sarah,
Thanks for replying.It's just so wearying , waiting and wondering when things will start for my son. There is only a limited amount of work ( that I requested from school ) that I've being trying to work with him on. Frustrated!! and that's just me so dear knows how frustrated he is !!
Take care,
Lindy x
p.s. thanks for listening

Lindy - Anytime, and yes so frustrating. Just getting some work from school and tutoring yourself just isn't good enough - Sasha did you find out if it was a legal requirement and if so how do these parents get the help they need ?

Take care Sarah xx

I don't know where the policy is stated, I'm just familiar with our department policy. I woud suggest phoning your local education authority or county council education department and asking to speak to the educational welfare officer. You could also ask the school to put you in touch with the EWO.