school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catching Up....

This forum was once a lifeline for me, a place where I knew I wasn't alone. I haven't been on here for quite a while for various reasons but the main one was I was scared to re-visit those days of despair. Today I have been please to see success stories and moving on a bit at a time stories.
For us the last year has been a revelation for us as a family. We were forced by circumstances to remove our son from the local education system and opted to home educate instead. It was a very scary decision to make and there were times when I felt it would overwhelm me but 10 months down the line I sit here typing this listening to my son getting ready to go and meet friends…he’ll be asking for a lift soon no doubt!! This was the boy who 10 months ago wouldn’t go out the house!
The school forced us into the choice by starting to prosecute us for his non attendance but I now see that they did him a favour…….he’s education is back on track, his achievements are to a good standard, we have found local home ed groups to join and most important of all I have my son back. His confidence is growing each day…something’s still phase him and we have to talk it through and make sure he doesn’t panic too much but those days are getting less and less.
The future seems so much brighter now and although at the back of my mind I still worry, I feel I am stronger now and can help him more. I’m sure we will hit pot holes but hopefully they wont seem so big!
Anyway I wanted to wish everyone on here a Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year ahead. I hope you all find the answers you are looking for. XXX

Re: Catching Up....

Sue- it is lovely to have your update. Thanks for letting us know how you are going and so good to hear that home schooling has been the answer for you.
If you get a chance - keep an eye on the forum every now and then as you might be able to help others who are unsure about homeschooling.
Are the friends your son has from his school or new ones he has made via the homeschooling groups?
So glad the forum was of help to you in the past and wishing you all the best for the future and may your son's confidence continue to grow.
best wishes,
Linda

Thanks Linda. He still has friends from his old school but only a couple. He also has made new ones which hasnt been easy as his trust level was at an all time low but again it is something that had to be one day at a time. I will if I can help anybody in anyway.X

Sue

Lovely to hear from you again, glad things are going well.
Happy christmas.

Take care
Dorothy x