school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interesting article

That's the article that brought me to this website, after gooogling the term school refusal. A friend suggested I read it, yesterday, and I am so pleased she did. The article sounds like it could have been written by me, bar a few experiences, and if I was better with words. I couldn't stop smiling after reading it and was walking on air for hours. It's great to not feel so alone after all these years!
I wonder what current SR suffers would make of it, reading about an adult who has been through what they are going through now.
Are any of you planning on showing it to your children?

What an interesting story, Sophy - thanks for pointing us in that direction. At the end I felt a bit helpless - all the emotions I have felt already with my son - wondering if he is the same ...or not. Wondering if it ends up just having to be the individual who works it out and no matter what help we do...perhaps it has no effect?

Clare - I have to be honest and say I just don't know in regard to whether to show the article to my son or not. He is very aware of this forum and I sometimes share things I read but I just worry that if he reads something like that....he looses hope from where he is now (only 12) as to what he might have to face in the next few years before finding his way. But I don't know if I am right on that one. Just like dealing with SR - for 7 years I have gone through this - and the only thing that helped was me totally accepting my son with this and changing my expectations of each day. And whilst the writer of the article said Cognitive Behaviour did not work - if she was not at the time willing to see it for what it was - then it possibly would not work. But it seems we can re-wire our brains - whether we do it by ourselves or with help - and cognitive behaviour therapy works towards that. But you have to want to do it or else your thoughts will just keep building up not only negative but angry as well.
Sorry - raving on a bit here - but the article gives lots to think about!
Very glad you have got in touch with us Clare as it is helpful to see it from your perspective.
Linda

I didn't realise that the writer of the article is a published author. And that she went to university to study writing and literature.

I too read the article and found it very interesting, and did share it with my son. What he did say was the fact that Jenn was able to go to these different units to study, where he found it impossible, and he also said that if she just got up one day and went to school how was she able to do that ? I am so glad that the article was published to give people a greater understanding of SR, i just wish it had focused more on the anxiety she felt rather than the im not going angle.

Think i need to also right to the paper and give a back up story - what do yo guys think ?

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

I think writing to the paper with your story would be wonderful - if your son doesn't mind? It would be nice to have the follow up of someone 'today'. I also agree with you re the angle of the article but I wonder if she was reluctant to expose to much of the fact that it was anxiety in case it impacts on how people perceive her today in her role as author? Sad but not all people understand.

Just getting up and going back to school confused me too so any light you can shed on how difficult that would be would be great too. Perhaps your son can help you put it together. All SR kids are different and it could definitely do with as many write ups as possible to expose what it is and how everyone suffers.
Linda

Absolutley - but i wouldn't mention names as it wouldn't be fair on my son - im not ashamed of him at all but i don't think it would do him any favours.

Will look at penning something together and post to all before it goes.

Sarah xx

HI all,
Just catching up on recent posts! The article in the guardian was very interesting as was Clare's openness to all our anxieties re school refusal. It would be brilliant if you could follow it up .
Take care,
love Lindy x