school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to include in feature article?

HI everyone,

I have been asked to contribute to a feature article on SR in a major Australian newspaper. (I received an email to a letter I wrote to the paper at the beginning of last year when they featured an article about how some kids get very nervous before their prep year at Primary school). I explained that yes - that was so - but SR kids were in a worst position as the new year loomed up for them). I had totally forgotten I had written the letter as I got no reply - until now.

I was just wondering what the major points are you think I should mention.
I know that dealing with authorities is different here than in the UK - but dealing with our kids and the support or lack of is exactly the same. So anything you can think of that helped you as a parent, or what your child has told you, or what the school did that helped. And also what you feel others need to know to fully understand that this is not just a naughty kid.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I'll make sure I send you all the url for the article when it comes out in February.
Linda

Re: What to include in feature article?

Hi Linda - absolutley fantastic welll done you. I too must get round to writing to the Guardian in respomce to the article last week i will when i get chance.

I think the main point for us here in the UK - and i hope you all agree is that we all feel the pressure and threat of prosecution which clouds our judgement and care for our children. We are well aware that we have to educate our children, but also want to help them, and by forcing them to school in order to keep the professionals happy and off our case so to speak is just not the answer. Who actually understands a SR ? with such a large % of SR's now i think it is time that someone actually got to the bottom and studied this illness, and to make the professionals think about how they handle them.

I hope this helps i really do and thank you Linda for helping with the plight.
Good luck Sarah xxxx