school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Internet School

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Internet schools? I have heard some good things and am thinking about it for my son whilst we decide what our next step is...

Sophy

Re: Internet School

Hi Sophy - No i haven't looked into that, but when i educated my son myself at home i found BBC bitesize very good.

If you get any more info please let me know.

Hope you are well.

Sar xx

Hi Sophy,

I don't know directly but awhile back someone else asked and I posted a couple of on-line sites in the UK - sorry I don't recall what they were now but perhaps a search might bring them up on here or on the internet.
In Australia we have 'Distance Education' via the Internet and when I made enquiries they said they have just a few School Refusal students who they work with. They are asigned a' tutor' who overseas how they are doing and they can connect via skype. I don't think that they do all subjects at once - just a couple.
They have a good reputation - so perhaps Internet can work well if the child is motivated?
All the best,
Linda xx

Hi Linda,

I've been doing research on some UK internet schools. They seem quite good. You are in a virtual classroom with about 10-15 other online students in your year group. They log on at 9.30 and finish at lunch time. I think they do about 2-3 subjects a day, homework has to be uploaded by midnight. They cover all the core subjects including French and spanish. They all have mikes and headphones but there is also the ability to message the teacher if they are not confident enough to speak. You can also do A levels as well as GCSEs. They do have school refusers there and some also do weekend social meets. The teacher uses a white board, power point etc etc. They have kids from the UK and abroad... My son seems quite interested so I will see if we can have a trial period so watch this space..Could be good as a stop gap.

Sophy.

Hi Sophy
This sounds a great idea, I'd be really interested in enrolling my daughter - how do you go about it and is it free? Could you possibly give me the name of the website?
Thanks
Carrie xxx

Hi Carrie,

there are 3 that I know of: Interschool, first College and Briteschool.
I just googled them. They seem to work along the same lines - all have lots of information about them on their websites with videos of how it works and I've just seen that Briteschool have lots of video demostrations of how it works on You Tube. Sadly none are free, i think it works out at about £40 a week...i know of one SR who was at first college and has moved to interschool and they are very happy with it. I guess it is just what works for your child. First College has a very comprehensive FAQ page which compares all 3.

Let me know what you think...

sophy