school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First day of secondary school

Hi everyone,

I just had to share how proud I am of my son today. It was his first day of high school. He felt ill but got ready and we headed off to meet a couple of other boys and we walked all the way there (I am very puffed out!).
A couple of the other mums said they felt ill in their stomachs as the kids were now at high school and growing up. I was pleased to say that my nerves were fine - I was really edgy last week - wondering if it would happen but I could see by the questions he kept asking that he saw it as a fresh start. I have talked to him about anxiety not just disappearing overnight but if it turned up he would know what it was and we worked through it before and so we would continue to do so. He always makes school on the first day of every year - so the test always comes a week or so later. Fingers crossed that if he has a good experience and feels ok about his friends then he will keep managing to go. At least it won't take us by surprise! And hopefully we can find the support quickly and go back to previous support if needed. My son has come a long way! Small steps can keep on leading forwards - never loose perspective on the big picture with our kids. One day at a time :-)
Hope everyone else can have a step forward soon - even if only small.
Thinking of you all -
Linda xx

Re: First day of secondary school

Hi Linda

What great news, its good to hear this positive step forward for you all.I agree small steps are good, there may be a few bumps/blips along the way but keep positive on his achievements. Sometimes I feel we do get caught up in the down side because this is a very difficult illness to cope with.
I hope we can all see some success this year no matter how small. keep us all posted Best wishes Dawn

Thanks Dawn. I'm still smiling. You are so right that we get caught in the down side. Sometimes we don't see the positives that shine like little tiny beacons in the middle of a rough sea.
Take care,
Linda xx

Linda

Absolutley wonderful news i am so pleased for you.

Love to you both

Sarah xx

Hi Linda,

Over the moon for you
take care,
love Lindy x

Thanks everyone : - )