school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Second day of school

Hi all,

Well - it is the second day of high school and the anxiety kicked in. I am very proud of my son as he did make it today but was frozen with anxiety. He couldn't think straight, was worked up about a couple of hitches that happened yesterday. He will usually walk to school with a couple of local kids but that wasn't able to happen today. I had to walk into the school with him at his request and I tried to see it from his perspective. It would have been a nightmare for SR.

He hates walking past peers he doesn't know at the best of times - let alone over 1000 of them who he feels are all looking at him (they were probably looking at me unfortunately!). His mates were so glad to see him (and me!) and I got one of them to help him with his locker etc. They were so pleased to do so but when he is so anxious he can't speak and ask for help. Pity it is not seen as ok by peers to have parents transition their kids a bit more into the Year 7 experience.

The psychiatrist did tell us that he HAS to go every day for at least the first two weeks to experience the full time table and start getting used to the school,and all the changes. There are just so many changes!! Why does high school have to be so different! There is just no continuity between Grade 6 and Year 7 -is there - it is like going to a different planet. It is really a bit like cultural shock if you visit another country that doesn't speak English and has different traditions and customs.

Fingers crossed that next week he can be less overwhelmed.
Take care everyone - and especially yourself and your son, Sarah.
Linda

Re: Second day of school

Linda,

What a relief and well done for keeping calm and supporting your son so well. I hope he has a good day - what did he say about his first day? Is there anyway you can get him to see some of the boys he is going to school with over the weekend? Maybe they can come and collect him in the mornings rather than going to meet them - tough call I know. With my son, when he is feeling anxious, he manages to get it together if he has a friend with him. problem is getting the friend to be there without making a big fuss.

Make sure you have a good weekend and well done to the both of you..

sophy

Linda - well done both of you and long may it continue.

Sarah xx

Thanks Sophy and Sarah,

And he came home ok. Said that once he had worked out how to open his locker he felt better! He knows he has to try and keep going and so I think having that awful anxiousness yesterday but getting there was a boost of confidence. My fingers are crossed that he can keep this up - but I still sit on edge as you just never know!
Sorry that others at the moment are having such a hard time. I know how you must be feeling and I am thinking of you.
Linda xx