school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Parents to the site

It saddens me to see so many new SR parents on the site - don't get me wrong you are all more than welcome but it shows a total lack of understanding of the problem by the professionals.

Our children do not want to be like this - they are not truants but children suffering.

With this in mind I have listed below some basic information which i hope helps, and those of us who are old hands at this please feel free to add your thoughts.

I am not a professional but a mother with 4 years SR expereince. My son hasn't gone back to school, but is now showing signs of recovering in many areas:

Always keep a diary of everything no matter how small, you may need to refer to it at a later date.
Contact your local Parent Partnership for help.
Find out if your school has a Parent Support Worker they are very good but not all schools have one.
See your GP
Contact CAMHS - this is something schools expect parents to do and ask about CBT ( our life saver )
I read a great book called "Can't go won't go" by Mike Fortune Woods and that helped me to come to terms with it all and gave me a better understanding of my son's condition.

Hope this helps.

Sarah T xx

Re: New Parents to the site

Thanks for the tips Sarah. Yes there are quite a few new parents on here lately (me included). Do you think the cold weather and long dark days has a bearing on they way our children feel. Is School refusal more prevalent in the winter months? I think my daughter suffers with SAD. Her behaviour and attitude is more positive in the summer months.

Tracey

HiTracey - It's a fact that the new term after Christmas is the most difficult for SR just don't know why - in particular in year 7 after the xmas break. I hope you find the forum useful - everyone here is lovely and we all support each other.

Sar xx

Thank you, Sarah.

I have put the list into my blog.

hi Simon - hope you're ok - good to hear from you.

Sarah xx