school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible solution

I don't want to speak to soon and get my expectations up but I came across what I think could be of help. I'm in Israel - but there might be similar places like this in other countries. It's called "smartcenter" and it's an afternoon learning center for anyone (kids but also university students) that find mainstream learning difficult. It took a lot of persuading to get my son to just look at the place - but as soon as he walked in the door a young guy came up and said first things first we're going to play foosball - no talk of school or learning!!! We ended up staying there for an hour. The idea is to make learning fun with no pressure. It's one on one but in an environment with other kids and has a family like atmosphere. The owner was so understanding and flexible about hours etc. The goal is to keep my son in mainstream school by getting the school to let him only be in certain subjects (they have agreed). The smartcenter will get him up to class level so he can get results and rebuild his confidence. Fingers cross. The new program starts next week. I'll keep you updated!

Re: Possible solution

Sounds great - not sure if we have them in the UK but hope it all goes well.

Sarah xx

Re: Possible solution

Hi Yael,

Let us know what more you find out and how it goes. This really does sound good.
Linda