school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eating problems and anxiety

HI everyone,

I just wondered whether anyone else out there had had some difficulty getting their son/daughter to eat when they are suffering anxiety?
Whilst my son is tackling the School Refusal bit and going (just couldn't face one day last week) - he just isn't eating. He can't eat breakfast because he feels too sick. Can't eat morning tea or lunch because he says he feels nervous and I am also perhaps guessing he might not like eating in front of people? At Primary school they ate inside so he was kind of forced into eating something even though he ate little. Now at high school they just go outside and take their food with them - and he just doesn't take it out of his locker. It all comes home again - no matter what I send.
I know it is early days yet - but it is not like he is eating the house down when he gets home - he picks at his main meal as well.
Any advice!? We jump one hurdle then hit another!
Good luck to everyone for next week - thinking of you.
Linda xx

Re: Eating problems and anxiety

Hi Linda,
When my son was at school he wouldn't eat at all for fear of his irritable bowel symptoms being triggered. For him this meant that he was hungrier in the evenings. Again everyone's so different.....would your son help you make out a wee menu plan for the week and see how that goes? ....what about surprising him with a breakfast in bed .....again at least you know he would have something to start the day of with.....just another different approach!!
Take care,
love Lindy x

Thanks Lindy. The menu idea sounds good - not sure about the breakfast in bed but everything is worth a try!
We had a chat about it last night and he said he feels totally overwhelmed by all the crowds at morning tea and lunch and so feels a bit sick.
Was your son tired during the day due to lack of food? What about his concentration? Not much we can do when they are there!
Hope your week starts off ok.
Linda

This was a problem for us as M has a sick phobia and is still even now taking anti sickness meds from the gp on a daily basis, we are now down to 5mg from 40mg but he can't just give up that little bit of support. He has always been a very fussy eater at the best of times but when anxieties run high he does find it difficult to eat - on the other hand i comfort eat when worried !!

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

Not surprising I guess that anxiety affects how we eat. I know what you mean by eating when worried - I find myself doing the same - but when I was younger I was also fussy and if I was stressed found food difficult (but I didn't have the anxiety my son has - must just be the old thing of stomach connected to mind).

I could also see how an SR child could have a fear of being sick. They tend to feel sick quite a lot and sometimes that just feels like it is going to be worse - they never quite know. Cognitive Behaviour should help with that too? Perhaps whilst he is still on meds you could get some CBT from somewhere or read up on it and apply some yourself? I am beginning to think we all have to become psychologists on this rocky road - we are half way there already with our experience.
Linda